harness question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I haven't seen this listed before, so excuse me if it has been discussed to death. I Have recently received my BP/w, and have set up the harness. After hours of un-threading and re-threading and making adjustments (I went with the cross-over straps) I have a question. How 'tight' should the shoulder straps be when I put this on? Obviously I can't make it as tight possible while wearing it or I won't be able to get into/out of the straps. But I'm worried about excess slop and having the plate sliding around my back while diving. I wont have access to water for a few more months, so I just annoy the family by wearing it around the house for fun.

One other thing, about the crotch strap. 2 inches of stiff webbing seems a might uncomfortable. I know some remove it all together. I have some soft, 2" tube webbing that would be alot more comfortable between the legs. Any problems with making this change?

FD

You need slack in the webbing to get in and out of your rig. Allow about 2 fingers in between your chest and the webbing. If your talking about using a chest strap, (one that run’s from one side of your webbing across your chest to the other side of the webbing), this is not necessary. If it is, you’ve rigged your harness wrong. Rigged properly, it will not slop around on your back or come off, until you take it off. You need the crotch strap! It holds the rigs down in place. If the 2” webbing is uncomfortable for you, 1” webbing is available and works well for some.

Check out this web sight. http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

Arduous:
You need slack in the webbing to get in and out of your rig. Allow about 2 fingers in between your chest and the webbing. If your talking about using a chest strap, (one that run’s from one side of your webbing across your chest to the other side of the webbing), this is not necessary. If it is, you’ve rigged your harness wrong. Rigged properly, it will not slop around on your back or come off, until you take it off. You need the crotch strap! It holds the rigs down in place. If the 2” webbing is uncomfortable for you, 1” webbing is available and works well for some.

Check out this web sight. http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment
I second that website. Used it to set up mine too. As for the crotch strap, mine came with a soft strap, kinda like seatbelt material not that weight belt material.

Ok. Thanks for the info, and for the website. Those pics speak volumes.

FD

Keep in mind that the crotch strap takes up the slack from the loose shoulder strap.

good point, I didn't think about that aspect of the crotch strap.

FD

Good tips and suggestions so far. You might want to check out this site as well;
http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm

I set my rig up for my drysuit, but wear is with a 3/2mm and a 5mm wetsuit at different locations and water temps. The little bit of difference in the tightness between the drysuit and the 3/2mm wetsuit have not been an issue with me. YMMV

AquaHump:
if the crotch strap bothers you try slideing a neoprene sheath over the strap where it slides between you legs

That would make it even worse. The problem is the stiffness of the 2" wide strap. The material is so stiff that it feels like a chunk of wood rubbing my inner thighs. I have decided to use my soft, 2" tube strap from my rope rescue kit (still have another one). It will provide the same protection from shifting and sliding, but will also bend easily when closing my legs.

FD

Setting up your first backplate on your own isn't as easy as it looks. Having someone who knows that they're doing spend some time helping you (and teaching you) will usually get you set up faster and will also go a long way towards preventing some bad habits from naturally developing. It may cost you a bucket of suds and some sherpa duties in exchange, but that's how the buddy system works.

A little bit of slack in the shoulder straps is required and you'll find that the waist strap and the crotch strap also play important roles in stabilizing your rig. That said, the shoulder straps should be as tight as you can get them without interfering with your shoulder movement (especially the valve drills) and your ability to chicken wing in and out of the harness. It will take a fair amount of fiddling to get it right.

The tube webbing makes for very comfortable and functional crotch strap material but it's slicker than the stiff stuff so make sure that you're using keepers that won't slip loose from use. I've been using the soft tube webbing for years as a crotch strap and it's not only more comfortable but has also reduced the wear on my drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom