Harness with quick release - pros and cons question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I don't see anything wrong with the standard harness. In fact I'm still considering it as a replacement for the hog. My comment was about the cinch upgrade. It has too many parts that in my opinion may fail with time. For example the plastic adapter, more screws (i read somewhere that can be opened and closed a limited number of time) and other parts. I realize that the odds for some of the equipment to fail are extremely low but, still people win the lottery every week...Also, if something will fail, it will be harder to fix on site.

For all the above reasons I prefer to get something like the UTD Quick Adjust System but since it was discontinued, I'll go with the slider.

While I don't use cinch on my own setups, i do have one set for loaners or for people wants to try bp/w set up. So the use it got is quick rough. Here is what I can say

The screws are stainless steel. I don't see how it can ever fail at all. There is no force/load on those screw. By default, the screws come with the blue locktight too, so very unlikely to work themselves loose. And even if the screws are to come off, the plastic adaptor won't come off because it is sandwich between the plate and the tank. If that happen in a dive (I don't see how) , you won't even notice. For sure you can keep diving.

The plastic adaptor sure can break, but all you loose is the quick adjustment functionalilty. The rig won't come off because it is still held by single continuous piece of webbing.

What other parts does it have?? Weight pockets? Light holders?

The best way I found is to pull a shoulder strap away from your chest with the opposite hand and then slide your other hand under the shoulder strap and let the strap slide off the outside of your arm.

Solid silver, almost like a grail of some sort!

Alright here is some welded rod I prepared during the break, borrowed the idea from a Tabata bakpak
The excess is kept in check by some tied up bungee, but if you have some dexterity you don't need it

or if you're smart, and use the Sedletzky System

full.jpg

I like it for a bit of fancy shiny stuff but mainly for clippability, got a non adjustable one on the other side.

My halcyon cinch is indestructible, can't remember how many webbings I've replaced
the plastic is thick and strong, I used a torch on it to bend it around a non H plate and
I'm really really rough

This works too.

For whatever reason, a lot of randoms that dive from m boat have straps that won't slide. It's a bit of a ****-show on occasion.
As for the over-the-head thing, pretty much everyone here wears double steels, and often big ones. It's a tough move, especially in a drysuit. And as I said, I just don't see the downside of a buckle, assuming it's a decent one.

For whatever reason, a lot of randoms that dive from m boat have straps that won't slide. It's a bit of a ****-show on occasion.
As for the over-the-head thing, pretty much everyone here wears double steels, and often big ones. It's a tough move, especially in a drysuit. And as I said, I just don't see the downside of a buckle, assuming it's a decent one.
I don’t really see a downside to buckles either, as long as they’re legit. Thousands of dives are done everyday by people wearing rigs that have quick releases from jackets up to BP/W and I yet to hear of a case where someone died because a quick release failed. Maybe a PITA but not life threatening. I think the whole “failure point” frenzy is getting a little old myself.
My point for those that do choose to use a one piece harness, there is a better way to get out of it besides putting both arms back and trying to wiggle it off by trying to get it slide off behind you, yes that is a sh!t show.
A much easier method is to push an arm out forwards from under a strap and then roll out of it. It takes about two seconds. It works the same with either singles or doubles.

ITT with Steve Simpson (abnfrog) in 3 weeks. He’s told me he always doffs on the ladder. I’ve asked to be shown how so I can do this my doubles. I think I’m going to be getting a pair of the Subgravity harness sliders. Then figure which one of the local boats will pull my doubles up. I suspect one will not. I need to learn the roll method, but my drysuit glove rings and computers always seem to get hung up regardless of how I try to get out of it. I’ve got a line cutter on one computer too that really gets hung up.

I much prefer a continuous harness to one with all the quick releases. My OW instructor recently brought it up in rescue class a regular buddy of mine was taking. Buddy said instructor commented that if you were diving with me you’d have to cut my harness rather than using quick releases. If you ask me, if I have to get someone out, I’m going to cut rather than fumble with quick releases when I have gloves on. Just shows how some people get attached to those darned quick releases!

I just set up my Dive RIte Deluxe QR harness....it has the QR on the left side and makes it so much easier getting in and out of the rig.

I need to learn the roll method, but my drysuit glove rings and computers always seem to get hung up regardless of how I try to get out of it. I’ve got a line cutter on one computer too that really gets hung up.

I'm guessing (clearly as I can't see for real) that your straps might be too tight. I have enough slack in mine (say for my left arm that has the suit dump) to lift the strap with one hand while get it over the restriction. Same with computers and line cutters (mine normally get caught when putting rig on)

Obvs your instructor will show you all his little tips and tricks - often the simplest and most obvious ones (after the fact) that have the greatest effect.

Buddy said instructor commented that if you were diving with me you’d have to cut my harness rather than using quick releases. If you ask me, if I have to get someone out, I’m going to cut rather than fumble with quick releases when I have gloves on. Just shows how some people get attached to those darned quick releases!

I always demonstrate how to cut webbing on a Rescue course realistically it depends on the situation, if my cutter wasn't really sharp, I could probably get you out of a harness with or without quick releases faster than I could cut. As long as the harness wasn't super tight I wouldn't faff looking for shoulder releases.

At the end of the day you rig your gear to be the most comfortable for you and that is most suited to the environment you're diving. Someone gearing up off the back of a truck, might not need the same config, as someone taking gear off in choppy seas.

Then figure which one of the local boats will pull my doubles up. I suspect one will not.
Plus 1 for that. I wouldn't like to be hauling someones dubs up either

@Diving Dubai

Some boats will help. Some won’t. I tip well. If you won’t help, even when asked in advance, that’s what word of mouth is for. And I don’t hesitate to use it. And I’m not even referring to doubles.

It's good to know that a solution in form of Subgravity slider actually works.
What is the point in getting a "special" cinch solution (like the Halcyon cinch system) when I can use the slider with any BP and any harness (like the hog 2")?
is it just the branding (and no, I don't think that comparing a Porsche with a Toyota argument, applies here. I don't think it is such a big difference)?

The difference is that with the cinch system you can have weight pockets, a regular pocket, can light, etc. on your waist band. With a slider you cannot do that generally, because the gear will stop the slide from moving. You need to use pockets that attach to the plate and allow the webbing to slide. Halcyon gear may be pricey but it is well thought out. Most divers that use a slider only use 1 on the right, the left will stop sliding because you have a d-ring on it to clip the spg.

Well, I have finally decided what I want :)
since it it my first BP/W setup, I do want to be able to adjust the harness.
Although a slider seems like something that will work, I prefer the OMS SmartStream system. This will allow to adjust the harness but the weight pockets will not move and it can be removed at any time.
Actually as my first rig I'm thinking about buying the "OMS SmartStream Performance Mono Wing Set 32lb". It seems to be not very expensive (good for the first rig) and seems to fit my goals (I mostly dive in warm water (red sea) with a 5mm wet suit /just t-shirt).
What do you think?

Also, I cannot make up my mind about buying a SS backplate or an ALU + V weigh.
On one hand, I will be able to remove the P weigh when traveling and mount it when diving locally. But on the other hand, using a P weight my have a negative effect on the weight distribution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom