harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lambsfarm 13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi, does anyone use a weight harness when out on boat dive?the reason i ask is because when you kit up then walk across the car park, down the slipway then wade out to the rib, by the time i reach it my weight belt is slipping down. i know it comes off before i get into boat but its a pain, then at end of dive. belt goes back on to walk back to car park. its a pain! a harness would solve all this except for one thing. on surfacing after dive its required to first remove weights & pass them up first to boat crew. easy with belt but with a harness...fumble about with pockets & velcro.? anybody got feedback on this? phil.

I dive with a harness, and I simply climb in the boat still wearing my weights. With harnesses becoming more popular, I think that boats are getting used to it.

What are they going to do, not let you back on the boat? :)

If they really, really insist, and you're using a DUI harness, you can always pull the loops, release the pouches, hand those up, and rethread them on the boat.

But even with 30 lbs (13+ kgs) in my harness and a steel tank, it wasn't bad climbing up the ladder...I'd much rather go that route.

you got a point. must be easier climbing back in harness than a belt thats dragging low. all weight is on shoulders not hips

My weights are on a harness. I wear a drysuit for almost all my dives, and it is is one of the best pieces of equiptment I have. No more coming up after a dive with my weight belt in my hand! Never had a problem getting on the boat with the belt on.

But mine isn't a fancy DUI one, it's basically just a weight belt with a harness attached. It can be ditched if needed, but not easily. Some people might have a problem with that. DUI makes a nice system.

I wear mine on boats but the boats I go on all have ladders and don't ask you to hand any gear up. I dive dry with an AL80 and 28 pounds in my harness (I'm 5'7" and about 140 pounds) and have no problems getting on the boat.
Ber :lilbunny:

I take it even a step further, I dive with a zeagle weight integrated BC, and climb back aboard in full gear, often including fins if the boat has the right kind of ladder. Passing anything up to the boat crew is just an opportunity to lose it.

this is an easy problem to solve.... get a harness and a jon line. when you get back to the boat pass the crew your BCD and tie your jonline to the boat. then take off your weights and pass them up switching which hand is on the jon line as needed. therefore is you lose your grip on the boat when you have just your weights on you do not necessarily plummit into the deep ...just pull your self up usiong the jonline

Back
Top Bottom