Has anyone ever? Reasons for DIR...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, they're not DIR.

Still, not DIR.

Also, not DIR.

It's been clearly established, if you have to use any qualifiers like: mostly, similar, almost, kinda, like, in the spirit, with the intent, everything but, akin to, etc. Then it is really not DIR.

I'd love to hear about your experiences regarding DIR, aside from the two jerks that you mentioned previously. Anyone affiliation can have jerks...

Have you taken a fundies course? Read the book? Spent time discussing ideas with any one who dives that way?

Yes, this is a serious question. Since you appear to spend a lot of time talking about things that are not DIR, I'd like an idea of where your perspective comes from.

I'll even start another thread so we can all discuss it like adults: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3094789#post3094789

Amazingly I kind of agree with Gator. I really cant see a DIR instructor saying that a CCR diver is diving in the "spirit" of DIR.

Maybes its because the kool-aid is still fresh in my blood but I guess I am in the camp of either you are DIR or you are not. No wishy washy "I do DIR dives sometimes" or "I'm DIR-lite".

Yeah I got DIR newbie syndrome..... you are all strokes!!..... and you are going to die. Since I dive with strokes I guess I'm not really DIR either, oh well.

Any technique, procedure or protocol that facilitates the fit, form and function of the Unified Dive Team is DIR.

Within GUE, 5thD-X, NAUI-Tec, Hogarthian or even CCR's --it's DIR if it holds to the schema above. . .

Any technique, procedure or protocol that facilitates the fit, form and function of the Unified Dive Team is DIR.

Within GUE, 5thD-X, NAUI-Tec, Hogarthian or even CCR's --it's DIR if it holds to the schema above. . .

All the DIR instructors I have talked to have out right said that a CCR introduces to many potential risks to a dive plan to consider it a viable tool within the DIR system.

Ok, ok, I've only talked to one instructor but Id be surprised to hear otherwise.

All the DIR instructors I have talked to have out right said that a CCR introduces to many potential risks to a dive plan to consider it a viable tool within the DIR system.

Ok, ok, I've only talked to one instructor but Id be surprised to hear otherwise.

That is correct. CCRs are in no-way DIR. The H breather is the only breather that is approved for DIR dives and even that comes with the, only if the dive really justifies it qualifier. (Yes you have to practice on this thing, but using it just to use it isn't DIR.) And, very few divers are doing dives that require an RB80.

CCR users tend to fall into one of three categories (1) nickel rockets that evidently aren't very good at math who are trying to save money on gas by buying an expensive breather, (2) those whose air consumption is too high for them to safely do the dives they are trying to do, and (3) the techno geeks who want to play with the newest toy. Now, while I understand no. 3 and you are free to do that, this is extremely contrary to the DIR KISS principles and emphasis on safety. Breathers increase risks greatly over scuba. On extreme depth dives or for cave diving at deeper than typical depths with long bottom times, a simplified breather such as the RB80 makes the dive possible while minimizing risks. But, it is still a crappy tradeoff. I suspect that a breather that has acceptably low risks for mid-level technical dives will eventually exist. But, it doesn't exist right now.

It's been clearly established, if you have to use any qualifiers like: mostly, similar, almost, kinda, like, in the spirit, with the intent, everything but, akin to, etc. Then it is really not DIR.
OK ... I agree with ya ...

But, so what?

Is "being DIR" really a goal worth pursuing?

Or isn't learning the skills and gaining the knowledge that you can take away from the program really what's valuable?

I will never consider myself "DIR" for just the reasons you established above ... but if GUE offered a course that would help me achieve my own personal goals, and if there wasn't a better alternative available, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Nobody ever said that you HAD to drink the kool-aid ... I know plenty of people who didn't, and still got a lot out of the training ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This all gets back to my husband's favorite question, "What is DIR?"

There's the curriculum from GUE, which has some serious rigidity to it. And there are those who adhere meticulously and tolerate no deviation, ever. And then there are a lot of us, I think, who believe and practice most of the principles, but don't get upset about which pocket somebody has their backup mask in, especially for simple dives. From what I"ve learned, GUE might well frown on this, but I reserve the right to make a certain number of independent assessments in my diving. Thus, I am not perfectly DIR, and that's okay with me.

I am a bit confused. Why are Rebreathers not DIR? And if so, is JJ now out in some left field since that is what he dives with when with the WKPP? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nNXAB6_kE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9F2YVTt2g I just am trying to understand more about the differences. From what I understand the rebreathers allow for the diver to go so much further, much longer without having to carry so much gas along the way. Especially in the WKPP projects, it has allowed them to explore alot more cave because of that.

Thanks,
Carolyn:sharks:

I am a bit confused. Why are Rebreathers not DIR? And if so, is JJ now out in some left field since that is what he dives with when with the WKPP?
Closed Circuit Rebreathers (CCRs) are not considered DIR. A particular Semi-closed Circuit Rebreather (SCR), the Halcyon RB80 is approved for use in certain circumstances. See RTodd's last post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom