Has anyone ever? Reasons for DIR...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a bit confused. Why are Rebreathers not DIR? And if so, is JJ now out in some left field since that is what he dives with when with the WKPP? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nNXAB6_kE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9F2YVTt2g I just am trying to understand more about the differences. From what I understand the rebreathers allow for the diver to go so much further, much longer without having to carry so much gas along the way. Especially in the WKPP projects, it has allowed them to explore alot more cave because of that.

Thanks,
Carolyn:sharks:

Because they are like "tame" tigers, occassionaly they decide to try to kill you. CCRs have a tendency to try to kill you more often. JJ uses an RB80, which is semi-closed. Read my post again. WKPP also uses depots/ carries full open circuit bailout.

Closed Circuit Rebreathers (CCRs) are not considered DIR. A particular Semi-closed Circuit Rebreather (SCR), the Halcyon RB80 is approved for use in certain circumstances. See RTodd's last post.

Ok, now I get it. I looked up some more info on what RTODD said and I understand the system they were using on the WKPP dives. I guess there is room for deviation in gear changes based on the dive you plan to do. But the foundation remains the same.

Thanks,
Carolyn:sharks:

ps Thanks for the clarification RTodd.

Because they are like "tame" tigers, occassionaly they decide to try to kill you. CCRs have a tendency to try to kill you more often. JJ uses an RB80, which is semi-closed. Read my post again. WKPP also uses depots/ carries full open circuit bailout.

So is Heather (Chickdiver) no longer DIR then? Have you all thrown her off the reservation?

So is Heather (Chickdiver) no longer DIR then? Have you all thrown her off the reservation?

In the GUE sense of the word? Of course not. The real question for RTodd, is which of his three groups does she and the rest of the AUE belong. I'd venture none of those three groupings. Those simply aren't the reasons that group of divers went to CCR.

In the GUE sense of the word? Of course not. The real question for RTodd, is which of his three groups does she and the rest of the AUE belong. I'd venture none of those three groupings. Those simply aren't the reasons that group of divers went to CCR.

There gets to be some problems with deep dives on open circuit (we are talking around 300ft or so).

The amount of gas required to do these dives safely gets quite large (and the corresponding pile of gear you need gets large as well) With all that gear, the skill required becomes greater. (Think of a multi-bottle swap/switch hanging on an anchor line, where dropping a bottle is a real bad thing.)

add to this...logistics.

How much gas for mixing? How much room on the boat?

A CCR starts looking better. A RB80 could also work, but the cost for the hardware and the training usually takes it out of the equation.

Sometimes, people make the decision that they want to make the dive and are willing to sacrifice some things to do them. (That is fundamentally why it isn't DIR, but they are adults.)

There gets to be some problems with deep dives on open circuit (we are talking around 300ft or so).

The amount of gas required to do these dives safely gets quite large (and the corresponding pile of gear you need gets large as well) With all that gear, the skill required becomes greater. (Think of a multi-bottle swap/switch hanging on an anchor line, where dropping a bottle is a real bad thing.)

add to this...logistics.

How much gas for mixing? How much room on the boat?

A CCR starts looking better. A RB80 could also work, but the cost for the hardware and the training usually takes it out of the equation.

Sometimes, people make the decision that they want to make the dive and are willing to sacrifice some things to do them. (That is fundamentally why it isn't DIR, but they are adults.)

Exactly, but this doesn't fit nicely into RTodd's three groupings, which over-simplified why some have chosen to go this route. It isn't for me, but I can appreciate why they made the choice. I also appreciate why it isn't fundamentally DIR.

Exactly, but this doesn't fit nicely into RTodd's three groupings, which over-simplified why some have chosen to go this route. It isn't for me, but I can appreciate why they made the choice. I also appreciate why it isn't fundamentally DIR.

Yes it does. Nickel rocket.

But... you must agree to the path and the goal and not deviate to truly be DIR. As is stated many times, DIR has all the answers, there is no situation that someone smarter then you hasn't been in. There is no need to walk off the yellow brick road, Dorothy. So as long as you're content with following that path and reaching that goal, then DIR is great, and there are plenty of helpful folks to show you the way. If you want to try a different route, eCCR or sidemount for example, then you are forbidden from "the path" and you will never reach "the goal".

i've had a lot of discussions lately about using rebreathers on wrecks around here and "deviating from the path" was not brought up a single time... we really wouldn't care about DIR the moment that it started not working for the diving around here... we would become one of the fallen heathen like barney/heather/AUE... the difficulty that we have is that we basically agree with the DIR position. i don't want to be constantly watching my ppO2 all the time, i don't want anxiety as my first indication that something is horribly wrong and i'm going to go unconscious in a minute (and those are safety tips for CCRs picked up from someone who is very pro-CCR). i don't agree with GUE's position because i want to be DIR, but i dive DIR because i agree with GUE's position.

I'm sure Heather, Barney, et al. stick up for themselves.

But when you have no suitable charters and would be forced to buy a big *** boat. To carry the tanks. To do the dive on OC or an RB80 with a ton of OC bailout I don't consider that a nickel rocket reason for deciding a CCR is a plausible tool in your toolbox. Whether one is then fallen from DIR grace forever is up in the air.

Did you just call me a "nickel rocket"? If so, that is quite possibly the most amusing thing that has occured here in a very, very long time.:confused:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom