Have SB divers lost interest in GC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I for one, truly love visiting GC. I will be heading there towards the end of October to spend some quality time with the people, dive ops, dive sites, restaurants and road stand jerked pork spots that endear me to this wonderful place. I agree that the government’s handling of COVID was debatable in its efficacy, but I’m ready to return. Looking forward to meeting up with old friends and acquaintances.

I was wondering the same thing. My wife and I just got back from 2 great weeks in Bonaire. We are thinking of another shorter, week trip before the end of the year and Grand Cayman is on the list. I'm particularly interested in how Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease has affected the diving, with it being present nearly everywhere around the island. Are there site closures, haven't read about it since the temporary closures on the North Wall at the end of 2020? We are thinking of staying at Cobalt Coast or Compass Point, both places we have stayed at before, but not for some time. We have also been to Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, but are hoping to skip the extra travel for this short trip.

@mi000ke ?
We went at the end of May. Stayed at Compass point. Loved all the dives. Drove into town twice to Eden Rock. Loved it. Kinda reminded me of BHB.

This SB Diver certainly has not lost interest in the Caymans. I was on the Brac in April and returning in December. Can't wait. In April, the Covid rules were a bit onerous in terms of the paperwork that needed to be done ( but worth it ). On island, there were no noticeable restrictions apart from having to wear a mask in enclosed public areas.

I just returned from a quick trip to GC. The weather was great and the diving was excellent. Water temps 85 degrees, sunny skies and calm seas. Few tourists after labor day. One day the three of us had the whole boat to ourselves! Went diving with Don Fosters. First dive is 80ft. max for 45 minutes. 2nd dive is 60+ minutes thanks to a lengthy surface interval. Friendly crew, and Sergio, the manager, is a pleasure to deal with. No covid requirements anymore. Will definitely visit again.

My family has not lost interest in GC. We took our first post-Covid trip to GC in late July and it was great to be back. We did 6 dives (all on the West side) and enjoyed it. My wife and I are booked to go back again this Fall.

We spent 10 days in GC and did14 dives the end of August. We dove with Don Fosters and were the only 2 on the boat for at least half the dives. Half of the dives were well over 60 minutes or more and some were drift dives - it helps having only a couple divers that like drift diving. We rarely even saw another dive boat. Sergio and crew are great! We've been diving with Don Fosters for 17 years and will continue to do so.

Among the critters we saw were many nurse sharks getting close and personal, squid posing for pictures, white spotted filefish changing colors, occasional Eagle Rays, turtles and many of the usual reef critters. Warm and calm water made for some great diving.

Topside, restaurants open and uncrowded, traffic always an issue, prices a bit higher for food and gas but not way out except maybe gasoline at $11.93/gal USD.

We will continue to go back to GC but we also love diving in Cozumel perhaps even more.

I used to do most of my Caribbean diving in GC, (Ocean Frontiers-East End) until Covid hit and they up and closed the island. That's when I started diving exclusively in Cozumel as my "go-to" Caribbean diving venue. After experiencing Cozumel, I have zero interest in returning to GC.

Here's why (IMHO):
Easier and cheaper flights to and from Coz from DFW. (American Airlines)
Much cheaper overall cost of the trip. (Hotel, diving, food, transportation, etc).
I can drive on the right side of the road, and no confusing roundabouts.
Reefs are better in Coz.
I love drift diving.
Awesome restaurants in Coz and a helluva lot cheaper than GC.
Coz Dive Op's are generally friendlier and easier to deal with. More flexible.
Coz is more centralized. No need for a rental car, especially true if you stay on the East End in GC.
Coz is a shorter flight to/from DFW.

I used to do most of my Caribbean diving in GC, (Ocean Frontiers-East End) until Covid hit and they up and closed the island. That's when I started diving exclusively in Cozumel as my "go-to" Caribbean diving venue. After experiencing Cozumel, I have zero interest in returning to GC.
See my additions below for why I think you should try LC before you give up on the Caymans
Here's why (IMHO):
Easier and cheaper flights to and from Coz from DFW. (American Airlines)
Fly non-stop out of Houston in United, short extra flight puts you in LC.
Much cheaper overall cost of the trip. (Hotel, diving, food, transportation, etc).
When you add up all the cab fares, comparable resort hotels, food, diving, etc. the price is not that much cheaper than an all inclusive package on LC
I can drive on the right side of the road, and no confusing roundabouts.
No need for a car on LC and you would see more iguanas on the road than cars if you did decide to rent one.
Reefs are better in Coz.
Reefs are light years better and healthier on LC
I love drift diving.
I hate drift diving, so this is a wash. Moored dives on LC mean no follow the leader with a group. You can dive anywhere you want with or without the group and DM.
Awesome restaurants in Coz and a helluva lot cheaper than GC.
Great food at the resort, included in the package and just steps from your room
Coz Dive Op's are generally friendlier and easier to deal with. More flexible.
Valet diving is as easy as it gets and if you work within the limits the DM has time wise, they can be very flexible.
Coz is more centralized. No need for a rental car, especially true if you stay on the East End in GC.
Everything you need at LC is within about 150-200 feet from the door of your room. Bar, pool, dive shop, boat dock, dining room, beach, spa.
Coz is a shorter flight to/from DFW.
What difference does an extra hour or so in the air really make Once you go to the effort to get through TSA and on the plane?

Loved GC and was certified there. After diving in Bonaire and St Croix we probably will not return mainly because of the cost of living there and the government handling of covid. We like shore diving and GC is good but has limited sights.

See my additions below for why I think you should try LC before you give up on the Caymans

Fly non-stop out of Houston in United, short extra flight puts you in LC.

When you add up all the cab fares, comparable resort hotels, food, diving, etc. the price is not that much cheaper than an all inclusive package on LC

No need for a car on LC and you would see more iguanas on the road than cars if you did decide to rent one.

Reefs are light years better and healthier on LC

I hate drift diving, so this is a wash. Moored dives on LC mean no follow the leader with a group. You can dive anywhere you want with or without the group and DM.

Great food at the resort, included in the package and just steps from your room

Valet diving is as easy as it gets and if you work within the limits the DM has time wise, they can be very flexible.

Everything you need at LC is within about 150-200 feet from the door of your room. Bar, pool, dive shop, boat dock, dining room, beach, spa.

What difference does an extra hour or so in the air really make Once you go to the effort to get through TSA and on the plane?
The thread is about GC - not LC…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom