Have you ever dove ZERO viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
This is an example of so-so vis but it is far from zero vis. That light is a UK800R about 6' away. http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14319/cat/500/ppuser/2714

If you want an example of zero vis. go into a closet at night with no outside light in the area and close your eyes with a black trash bag over your head. Don't seal the bag or you'll die. That's close to zero vis. The bottom of a mine shaft a mile or two from the opening with no lighting at all in the shaft might be another example. So is 30+ feet into oatmeal silt.

If you can see your gages pressed against your mask with a light it isn't zero but really bad vis. :wink:

Gary D.

Vis was acutally quite good here. Lots of sun during the day and half moon at night.

Hey Gary D. Arent ya on Military.com also?............:)

Watertemp34degress.jpg

frank2.jpg

Over the years, I've been on several zero viz body recoveries and it still freaks me out when I bump into the victim. :icoeek:

I dived in zero viz. in a river named Black river. A very appropriate name. They could have named it Smelly Black river too :wink:

For long duration times in zero vis I have found the diver will relax more ( ie use less air , think clear and accomplish their task ) with there eyes closed.
A very helpful reference during this time is to always check which way is up ( to the surface ) and which way is down. I found this very useful when collecting samples in the mud for
Amphipods in Barrow Alaska and while working on commercial structures where nuts and bolts where part of the tasks at hand. I was working in Iceland on a floating pen that took major amounts of commercial dive time to ensure this floating
structure
250 feet long by 100 feet wide was stable and secure. I
actually
found it easier to close my eyes as my brian would relax not trying to see something that I could never see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom