Have you experienced a negative reaction to your pursuit of solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just do not pay attention to them. Unless someone seriously asks wanting info about the subject when I get asked where my buddy is I tell them that "today I don't have one" and walk away. I discuss solo diving with students as well because they will at some time see it. I don't want them getting the idea that they can just go and do it. I let them know what is involved with gear, training, experience, mindset, and especially what can go wrong and that the consequences are much more severe since there is no one to assist you. I am a firm believer in the buddy system if those using it know what they are doing and do it well. Problem is many have no idea just what a dive buddy is and with new divers that is the fault of the very instructors who use solo divers as bad examples. If everyone was really trained in diving with a buddy from the get go and worked at being a good buddy, there might not be as many of us who feel the need to dive alone as often rather than get saddled with a person who more of a liability than a true dive buddy.

When asked where my buddy is, I usually answer "I don't have one today" and in the same breath, before they can say anything else, "I am trained as a solo diver". That usually stops them before they start showing off their lack of knowledge or get argumentative.

By that time, they see while I have a compact and trim rig, I have more redundancy than two of most divers that they have seen.

I think we need a Solo Diver contingent at the next regional gay pride parade. Solo divers finally out of the closet and unashamed! Come on, we know there are more of you out there...

And I've missed you twisted *******! :no:

I have learned over the years that there is little point in trying to win a debate with a narrow-minded type, so my only response was something like, "Ya, I guess that's me..." Our g/f on the other hand (who I taught how to dive about 20 years ago) just ripped into this guy for his "judgmental" position.... I just sat back and listened to her be my advocate, citing my 1000's of dives, tons of redundant equipment bla, bla, bla. She was joined by my wife, who reluctantly allows me to dive alone. I must confess, that listening to them, I sounded like a solo-diving God! :)

Well within a few minutes, most of the club was listening in and I suspect that she converted a few of them , or at least opened their minds just a little...

Stoo, your wife sounds like a keeper!

I frequent this resort whenever I need to practice new configurations in open water. One time, I arrive there without my buddies. The manager of the resort wanted to pair me up with one of the resort DMs to provide a buddy for me. I didn't argue, but I quickly got kitted up and jumped in before they could arrange a DM for me. My wife was with me at the time, but she's an NDSO, so I just gave her my dive plan before hand.
For the second dive, the manager kept asking me if I thought that going solo was dangerous. In fairness to him, he didn't sound judgmental or anything. I explained that having no buddy was probably better than pairing up with an inexperienced diver. He seemed okay with that, and still provided me with a 3rd tank later that day.

yea...people give me that look...but i don't care... its 5 o clock some where

About the only time I really worry about what others think about my solo diving is when an instructor with a BOW class is on board the boat and the students see I'm diving solo. I have no problem with them telling their students that (1) this is NOT something they should do and (2) that Bill has substantial experience as a solo diver, nearly 48 years of it.

A few years ago we went to Bonaire. My wife had not yet started to dive... for that matter she hadn't started to be my wife either, but I digress...

Anyway, there was a nice little "house reef" out front and each night, I would grab a tank and flop around for an hour before bed. After the second night, the dive shop manager advised that he didn't think it appropriate that I be diving alone at night. (They buddied me up on the boat with another guy who's philosophy about buddys was like mine... same ocean, same day, close enough, see you at the line in an hour.

Anyway, every night, from that point on, I would take two tanks out and leave one of them on the beach, bleeding slowly, so that I could return two spent tanks! He was happy, but I think he figured it our pretty fast.

A few years ago we went to Bonaire. My wife had not yet started to dive... for that matter she hadn't started to be my wife either, but I digress...

Anyway, there was a nice little "house reef" out front and each night, I would grab a tank and flop around for an hour before bed. After the second night, the dive shop manager advised that he didn't think it appropriate that I be diving alone at night. (They buddied me up on the boat with another guy who's philosophy about buddys was like mine... same ocean, same day, close enough, see you at the line in an hour.

Anyway, every night, from that point on, I would take two tanks out and leave one of them on the beach, bleeding slowly, so that I could return two spent tanks! He was happy, but I think he figured it our pretty fast.
Why be that accommodating to someone else's notions of right and wrong?

When someone gives me advice I don't want, I simply say "Thanks" and do it my way anyhow ... in fact, it used to drive my wife (who is no longer my wife) nutz.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why be that accommodating to someone else's notions of right and wrong?

Because he had the keys to the tank locker... No point p*ssing him off and finding the place all locked up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom