Have you experienced a negative reaction to your pursuit of solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the instructors I work with do not approve. I have heard more "horror stories" about equipment failures from divers trying to dissuade me. Isn't that the whole point of redundancy? I just listen and nod my head. But the same instructors who do not approve of solo diving have no issues having me go down alone to tie off their buoys.....:idk:

Most of the instructors I work with do not approve. I have heard more "horror stories" about equipment failures from divers trying to dissuade me. Isn't that the whole point of redundancy?

Instructors are used to talking with newbies, and I think most of us would agree that solo isn't perhaps the best option for a novice diver since they aren't likely to have the gear.

I have been an Instructor since 1978 and actively taught students to equip themselves, and to dive, "as if" they were diving alone. The shops I've taught for over the years needed to carry a lot of ponys, manifolds etc...

I appreciate that "you guys" will not likely debate this with me, but I have yet to come up with more than about 2 things that a buddy can do for me, that redundant gear and common sense can't... (One of them is buy beer!) I've been diving alone for about 34 years and wouldn't have it any other way...

Maybe I'm just an anti-social knob!

I certainly found in my early days of diving that I started the dive for about 5 minutes buddy diving then spend the next 55 solo. Lost buddy procedures were followed for the first 10 - 15 times before I realised my buddy was not going to follow them.

Since then I prepare for every dive as a solo dive with buddies.

I enjoy solo diving as there is less to take care of, with the exception of a few of my buddies.

Like someone else pointed out, there is lots of stigma if you are vocal about solo diving... I did a solo night dive on a fishing wreck and no one said anything to me, but lots of people commented in the background. I did 15 minutes solo on another wreck because my buddies ditched me and the plan and I was labelled 'unsafe'. go figure...

For me solo is one of the most peaceful forms of diving. Combine it with night and its nirvana!

From your own personal experience, have you experienced a negative reaction when the subject of solo diving comes up?

For myself, I cannot discuss the subject at my local LDS or at my local club. Privately, several instructors, DM's etc... confess to doing it. Publicly however, they follow a "don't ask; don't tell" philosophy. Seems odd for a non taboo subject?

Real personal, my wife doesn't like it much (she is not a diver and is a worrier). I try to get together with my buddy and dive, but I love to dive and old habits are hard to break.

The LDS anywhere is in a tough spot, buddy diving is the accepted norm and since they are professionals in the business, it would be irresponsible for them to encourage other behavior. Unless we take it upon ourselves to kill all the lawyers this will not change; litigation makes it a taboo subject. Solo diving discussions take place but not in front of new divers or unknown patrons in the shop.

I have recently taken a couple of courses and the instructor's rules are no diving solo under his supervision and no discussions of solo diving around "the children". However, frank discussions with him, the asst instructor, DM's and DM candidates about diving and my experiences are fine. That being said, I am probably older than their fathers and get a pass for being crazy. Also, at that level, they have the knowledge and ability to decide on a course of action that is right for them, if they are not solo divers already.

Personally I would not want any of my solo diving experiences to be used as an example of what to do next for a new OW card holder. This puts the "don't ask; don't tell" philosophy in perspective.

Bob
Solo dives since '63

Last edited:
:lol:

Now that's funny.

Solo diving is regarded as dangerous in some circles here and I have certainly enjoyed the labels. I myself find it more peaceful and often easier than following buddies that agree to a plan but dive something else.

Since then I prepare for every dive as a solo dive with buddies.

I enjoy solo diving as there is less to take care of, with the exception of a few of my buddies
Any time I dive with a novice diver I treat it like a solo dive.Too many times have I had to abort a perfectly good dive because of their improperly cared for gear or their lack of experience.
These days I'm either diving with a Novice (because most of my local experienced Dive Buddies have hung up their regs for good) or with Divers I'm unfamilair with. Either way I have to rely on my own abilities and my own redundancy to carry out the dive. I really don't mind though because it's usually a chance to meet new people.
Several years ago I was diving off of Vancouver Island on a Charter Boat. My insta buddy that I paired up with couldn't even drop bleow 10 ft because he couldn't clear his ears.After seeing that he made it safely back aboard I hooked up with another couple. We had a good dive but because when I was 'playng around' at 10 ft while they were diving I had plenty of air (plus a pony) when they were ready to call it quits. So I wrote on my slate that I was going to meet up with another Buddy who I knew and dove with often. After searching the wreck for about 10min. and a 15 min. Safety surfaced and climbed aboard to receive a glare from the Boat operator.After giving me a lecture he proceded to don his gear to do some repair/ maintenance work on the wreck- ALL BY HIMSELF. Go figure.

It is a kind of unspoken thing as the LDS not to talk of it in open company. To many new/student divers listen and then question thier training or trainer. I think that is right to minimize talk for that reason. In closed company we talk openly about it. hazzzards, solutions, preventions, risk assessment, hogarthian and all that stuff. a lot of ,,what we would and would not do and why. mOST INSTRUCTORS AND DM'S usually have problems with the topic. company people with company policies. and yet they are the only ones without a buddy. go figure...... i tried to get close to one to tell them thier reg was leaking and by the reaction you would think they thought i was attacking them. fin slap and all. after we surfaced and go t back on the boat the dm told me to never approach her again and she knew hew reg leaked.

perhaps the thought is that no one has the skills if you cont have a dm or dive con card. any way i did not care that much i was just happy i had my own gear and not the rental stuf she and the other divers was using. quite an example when a dive master demonstrates such poor behavior and decision making in front of who knows what level of divers.

any way my lds is looking to get a group formed to do this kind of stuff and venture into normox tech diving. a split house i guess you would call it. we want to do wreck diving. oriskani and others below 120 ft. generally out side of the classroom we believe that we are all diving solo with others present. self relience, no hazzarding of others.

others have told me that if i dont have a buddy i am tech diving. i prefer to think that i am using tech skills in the rec environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom