Headed to Ginnie Springs this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rostato

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My buddy, and I are heading to Ginnie Springs for a couple days of diving this weekend. These will be my first dives since being certified, so I am pretty excited.

Anything we should know about the area before going?

Places to stay, food to eat, things like that.

I am really looking forward to getting wet, and more comfortable in the water.

Just got back! I (or one of my buddies) will post a report with pics and vids soon.

We camped on the Ginnie Springs complex, and were able to find a quiet spot away from the crowds. We also dove Devil's Den, which is about 30 miles away, as is Blue Grotto (I think that's the name). We ate breakfast at the deli on Ginnie Complex, but lunch and dinner here: Great Outdoors Restaurant it was excellent! Ask for waiter "Mike". He's used to serving divers, and always had two full glasses of tea for each diner on the table (because we get dehydrated).

Dunno if Floyds is still Floyds, but that place had some great food(maybe not the cheapest though).

I've stayed at the Caddilac, its OK for the price.

There's a great italian joint on the main road through downtown Alachua, next to a tex-mex place thats supposed to be good too. That place was straight up outstanding.

You can camp at Devils Den.

Cave Excusions is just down the road from Ginnie and can fill your tanks with anything you need, and you pay by the cubic foot(not per fill).

Dunno if Floyds is still Floyds, but that place had some great food(maybe not the cheapest though).

It was called something else. We had 2 additional recommendations to go to "Floyd's" but when we saw the different name, we decided to go to Outdoors, because it was so good. I need to go back and try a few more things off the menu too.

Wonder if the food is still good? :/

Meh... I'd almost rather goto Alachua anyway, that italian place was just worth the extra drive.

Wonder if the food is still good? :/
The crowd there was respectable, but I couldn't account for their taste in food. One of the recommendations came from a local there, so I'd still be willing to give it a try... but see below.

Meh... I'd almost rather goto Alachua anyway, that italian place was just worth the extra drive.

I'd be willing to try the Italian and Mexican place too. My problem is that just about 100% of what they had on the menu at the Outdoor joint looked delicious. I'm going to have to at least try the lamb chops with plum sauce, one of the pork chop dishes, and the fried cheesecake. After that, I can branch out. :wink:

Nice, thanks for all the info! I'll check into the devils den too then. We may be staying in Alachua anyway.

The caddilac looked way to run down for my choice.

Can't wait to go.

Its(Cadillac) simple, and clean, if you want better, goto Gainesville or Alachua for sure :)

... if you're in Alachua, Ristorante Deneno, do it. http://www.deneno.com/

Thank me later, Yuengling is fine.

I love Deep Outdoors the Burgers are to die for. Be sure to go by Amigos Dive Shop and see Wayne for your air or nitrox he will do you right.

Agreed, Wayne Kinard at Amigos is friggin awesome, and you can't beat a 24 hour fill station.

Back
Top Bottom