Headed to Ginnie Springs this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ristorante Deneno sounds great as I am Italian, we'll check it out.

Yuengling has always been a favorite of mine. I used to live 30 min from there pottsville pa plant.

Deep Outdoors the Burgers sounds great too! Thanks.

Also looks like Amigos is the best place to rent tanks, and get fills. Both of us have not bought any tanks yet, so we will probably rent two tanks, and dive both each day.

If we decide to camp, then it'll probably be at the devils den since it's only $7 per person compared to $20.40 at Ginnie Springs.

As far as openwater dives go, would you spend more than one day at ginnie springs?

Again, thanks for all the info.

As far as openwater dives go, would you spend more than one day at ginnie springs?

We dove all the springs at Ginnie save one, and we didn't dive it because it was 4ft deep with no real features. We had time to spare, so no, I don't think I'd stay two days at Ginnie.

Devil's Den is worth checking off your list, but probably only worth a single dive... unless you're into fossils.

I wanted to hit Blue Grotto too, but time wouldn't allow.

Excellent, thanks! Yeah Blue Grotto seems very pricey, but if we have time we'll check it out.

I think the plan so far is to drive down to fl, hit up Amigo's to rent some tanks, finish the drive to the devils den, set up the site, and go dive the den.

If we have time maybe we'll take a trip to blue grotto.

Then on saturday, we'll pack up the site early, and go to ginnie springs for the day and drive home at night. Should be a good trip!

Although, I am thinking that ginnie might not be a great idea on the weekend...who knows

Although, I am thinking that ginnie might not be a great idea on the weekend...who knows

We were there on the 3rd of July, if you can imagine.... While it was pretty busy, there were only a few divers in the mix, so it wasn't the hassle you would think it would be.

Floyd's is now Fleetwood. I haven't eaten there since the change. Another decent place to eat is Conestoga's in Alachua.

Ginnie is good for one dive, maybe two, unless you're cavern or cave trained.

I always stay at High Springs Country Inn when I'm over that way.

Ristorante Deneno sounds great as I am Italian, we'll check it out.

Yuengling has always been a favorite of mine. I used to live 30 min from there pottsville pa plant.

Deep Outdoors the Burgers sounds great too! Thanks.

Also looks like Amigos is the best place to rent tanks, and get fills. Both of us have not bought any tanks yet, so we will probably rent two tanks, and dive both each day.

If we decide to camp, then it'll probably be at the devils den since it's only $7 per person compared to $20.40 at Ginnie Springs.

Again, thanks for all the info.

I have camped at both Ginnie and Devils Den... The Den was quite and we were the only camper, enjoyed it and would stay there again.

Ginnie can get awfully crowded with campers and people but we were with friends and enjoyed camping just the same however, I would avoid any holiday weekend and think diving during the week is the best.

Ginnie is good for working on your technique but if your not going into the caves and I doubt you are with the limited amount of dives you have, you might get a bit board after awhile... If memory serves me right, Ginnie is pretty shallow but you can get down to 60 feet if you dive down to the grate at the bottom of the large swimming hole.

The Blue Grotto is good for a dive or two and you can get down to 100' but my favorite was the Devils Den... Smallest of the three and you only go in circles but for beginners, it a good place to practice and work on your technique diving through small passageways made by rocks laying in such a way to give you the feel of tunnels and such... Good for the confidence as well IMHO...

You can get alot of dives in if you want to and its safe for the most part. If you have all of you own gear minus the tank then you could blow out a day at each site and get your fill.

I wish I could validate the restaurants but we were cooking out the whole time we were down there.

One last thing, not to take away from the dive shop but Ginnie rents equipment and tanks. Fills are on the spot for the most part. To be honest, I don't remember if the Grotto or Den rents tanks but it would surprise me if they didn't. Oops, remember to check for availability for camping and reserve a spot...

I lied, one more thought... They have classes at all of these sites, not every day so you may want to make a phone call to each site and see what day they usually have classes (I think they rotate) and adjust your sites to avoid the chaos and dust up's...

Hope this helps some, lee

To be honest, I don't remember if the Grotto or Den rents tanks but it would surprise me if they didn't. Oops, remember to check for availability for camping and reserve a spot...

On second thought, all three had tanks and at the den you could rent a pretty good light for the day for a few dollars. Bright lights work well for the dark areas...

I also keep saying Grotto but the correct name is "The Blue Grotto"...

lee

The Blue Grotto
the blue grotto florida - Google Search

The Devils Den
Florida's Pre-Historic Spring -- Devil's Den!

Out of the three, Ginnie will provide the most dive time with various sites. Even a night dive in the Ginnie basin can be fun. If the water levels allow, you can drift from the Devils Run to Ginnie's run through the river and see some cool stuff.

Devils Den is unique, and pretty, lots of stuff to see if you go slow and actually look around.

Blue Grotto is an undercut in a limestone wall with graffitti carved into the sides everywhere... Its the least interesting dive of all IMO since its been too scared up by careless divers...

Sweet. I am really looking forward to going.

I have no intentions on getting down to 100'. I am fresh off certification, and 60' sounds good enough for me, for now that is...

The whole purpse of this trip for us is to get as much time in the water as possible to get more comfortable.

They rent out 8 mm's at Ginnie. Once you put this thing on, in July heat you have just 10 sec to go underwater, or you die from heat stroke.

Back
Top Bottom