Headed to Orlando & Beyond. Need some advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I have finally nailed down my visit dates and as my previous thread wandered off into an Epcot discussion I thought I would start fresh.

My conference ends the 19th and instead of flying home on Friday the 20th I am going to stay until Monday the 23rd. That gives me Friday-Sunday to get to my selected dive site, dive and then return to ORL for my Monday flight.

I need to pick a dive location, accomodations and rental car. Unfortunately my budget for this trip is pretty slim. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Especially after looking at lodging & rental car rates!!!!! I was amazed!! The car I can rent here Fri-Mon for $80 is $440 in Orlando!!

What are my best dive options? I could concievably go as far a Key Largo or just spring dive up north.

If there is good shore diving available that would be more budget friendly. But if the better option is boat diving so be it.

Any group dives going that weekend??

Thanks Everyone.

You can always dive the springs... a little easier on the budget, but... they get boring real quick if you're not a cave diver.

Your closest good diving is probably Jupiter/West Palm Area. I think Jupiter Dive Center goes out almost every day... You can also check with several of the West Palm charters... The ones I use are Little Deeper Charters, Bill Walker's, and Jim Abernathy.

thanks Scuba Dad,

Looks like I may be headed out Jupiter way. Man I do love SB. I have been made so welcome by other SBers when I travel.

Take care.

Steve

Well I was feeling a little chilly siting her and took a look a the weather. Yesterday it was 49 at this time. Today 26 degrees and more snow coming....

Florida here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now, that weekend is my last free weekend before I start teaching O/W again. I'll either be diving in Jupiter or in WPB that weekend.

I just spent my first day in WPB diving with Little Deeper and it was great, even though the conditions weren't....uh...."stellar" haha! I would highly reccomend them.

I would have to disagree spring diving doesn't get boring just because you aren't a cave diver..but that's me..

You can get some free shore dives in down south around west palm and ft lauderdale/pompano.
You can also do boat charters down there, they are everywhere cost a little bit though, anywhere from 60-90 bucks for a 2 to 3 tank dive.

Springs up north are either free, 5-10 dollars, or at most 35-40 for the privately owned ones.
Epcot does the divequest thing, but its one dive and expensive.

Either way from Orlando you are looking at a minimum drive of an hour and half to a dive site (springs) and at least 2-3 hrs for east coast ocean diving.

Rental cars..well I use hertz most of the time, but I like to rent the corvette :)

Steve, it was pretty chilly here for the last couple days (WAY down in the 50's and 60's.....lol). It's starting to warm up again, now, so it should be a good weekend for diving.

I just spent my first day in WPB diving with Little Deeper and it was great, even though the conditions weren't....uh...."stellar" haha! I would highly reccomend them.

I just had wings and beer with Debi, and she said it was an interesting day. Were you on Saturday's 3-tanker? From what she was telling me there was a bull that Kim named Bruce was getting a little too close for comfort.

I would have to disagree spring diving doesn't get boring just because you aren't a cave diver..but that's me..

QUOTE]

I get bored in caverns... I guess I'm too ADD to see the same rock again and again and again... I will agree that the price is right.. most of the time... I can't see spending $35 to see Devil's Den... It's great for teaching when the ocean is rough... but... I'm only good for two dives there... once clockwise and once counter clockwise...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom