Headed to Orlando & Beyond. Need some advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had wings and beer with Debi, and she said it was an interesting day. Were you on Saturday's 3-tanker? From what she was telling me there was a bull that Kim named Bruce was getting a little too close for comfort.

Yes, we did see Bruce on that trip. I saw two large bulls but other divers said they saw up to 4 at one time. The seas were rough (4-6ft) and seasickness got the best of me for the first time in my life.

My focus this time of the year would be water temperature. I personally feel the Gulf Stream is the way to go. The Gulf Stream brings warm water up from the south and it is significantly warmer than non Gulf Stream locations. I would call the dive shops that dive the GS and get a run down on the water temps. Jupiter is as far north as the GS goes. At that point it turns and heads out to sea. Ask Jupitermermaid about the water temperature in her area. She can also direct you to some of the local eateries. She hangs around in that old Jupiter town. The one with the GIANT Grouper festival in October.

From Orlando, some of the best diving in the state (in the country, IMHO) is found in Palm Beach County - yes, its that good and you should try it.

Lately, h20 remps have been 69 - 71, chilly for us natives.

Some great operators:

Jupiter Dive Center

In West palm/Riveria Beach:

The Wetter The Better
Jim Abernethy

In Lantana/Boynton Beach, a little farther south:

Starfish Enterprise

Jupiter is more consistant for large animal encounters; farther south has some of the best reefs in FL.

I'm not a fan of the springs, so I don't recommend, but they are unique and closer to Orlando.

Orlando to Jupiter is +/- 2 hours; other places mentioned a little further - easy driving and most charters leave at 9AM (check w/ the operator) so you don't have to get up in the middle of the night.

Steve, we're gonna have a blast! So far we've got a great little group together that will be on the dives and having comaraderie in between. The weather thus far looks promising. It should be a great weekend! Looking forward to meeting, diving, and hanging out with you.

I just had wings and beer with Debi, and she said it was an interesting day. Were you on Saturday's 3-tanker? From what she was telling me there was a bull that Kim named Bruce was getting a little too close for comfort.

Yes, I was on that charter. I was part of the group that "stuck it out" when the weather got bad. Several got off the boat and went home after the first dive. We saw several very large bulls, lemons, and nurse sharks. The second dive was a drift dive with some eels, another large nurse, and plenty of macro stuff (cleaner shrimps and arrow crabs). Third dive was GREAT. We dropped in on a MASSIVE (and I mean several thousand) 5-7 ft 'cudas. Drift dive to 4-5 wrecks, and it concluded with a decent sized turtle (4-5 ft across) sleeping in the sand as we ascended. Great day!

Yes, I was on that charter. I was part of the group that "stuck it out" when the weather got bad. Several got off the boat and went home after the first dive. We saw several very large bulls, lemons, and nurse sharks. The second dive was a drift dive with some eels, another large nurse, and plenty of macro stuff (cleaner shrimps and arrow crabs). Third dive was GREAT. We dropped in on a MASSIVE (and I mean several thousand) 5-7 ft 'cudas. Drift dive to 4-5 wrecks, and it concluded with a decent sized turtle (4-5 ft across) sleeping in the sand as we ascended. Great day!

I was home stuck painting. That makes two weekends I missed this year. That stinks... I'll make up for it this weekend... Bridge on Sunday and 3 tanker out of Jupiter on Monday.

Little Deeper is one of my favorite charters... I love diving with Dave & Lynn... Plus, Debi and I are very close friends... we've been dive buddies for years....

OK!!
Headed to Jupiter Friday night to dave Saturday & Sunday then return to Orlando to fly home on Monday. Found a somewhat reasonable renal car from "Rent-A-Wreck". Not kidding......

Now, what to bring with me?? I have been carrying all of my gear, except weights & tanks, with me when I travel. This is becoming a bit of a hassle and I am looking at maybe leaving my wetsuit (7mil) and BC at home and renting. I haven't rented gear since I did my OW. What do you all carry when you travel?

If given the option, I bring everything except weights and tanks. Then again, an AL backplate and small singles wing pack a lot smaller than the traditional BCD.

I am spending my first winter in many years back in country that actually has winter and there is a certain "strangeness" to assembling my dive kit and looking up to see it snowing outside......

I keep expecting Vic Perrin to step out from behind the curtins......Do not adjust your television...

Thanks Scubastud,

After much consideration I am leaning towards carrying all of my own gear down. I don't know that the difference between my Nighthawk and a BP/W would be significant in my decision rent vs. bring my own. I am more comfortable with my own gear. My thought to renting comes from a less than perfect trip to CSL where I spent two days of my trip dealing with misplaced dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom