Heart defect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Audier

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I am a new diver (+1 year) and became addicted. My daughter (8) loved to see me do it and became a PADI SEAL.
She loves it, but was born with a heart defect called Ebsteins. She has a mild form of it.
Are there any divers out there that have this and what is your advise/input?

Rob

In addition to here in Disabilities, you might also want to post this question in the Dive Medicine forum here on ScubaBoard, where some of the medical types hang out more regularly.

As you know, Ebstein's anomaly is a fairly rare heart condition (incidence of 1:20,000) that consists of malformation of the tricuspid valve. In the context of scuba diving, there are some troubling potential complications, which include a decrease in exercise tolerance, heart arrhythmias (surpaventricular tachycardia), atrial septal defect (patent foramen ovale, PFO), and heart failure. Often, patients present with fainting (syncope), turning blue (cyanosis), and episodes of heart-racing (palpitations). There are mild and severe forms of Ebstein's. Fortunately, your daughter has a mild form of it.

Divers should be very wary of cardiac issues since the underwater environment with its attendant increased ambient pressures can be a very unforgiving environment. If any problems are encountered during a dive, the margin for error is very slim. Moreover, the issue with Ebstein's anomaly extends into the post-dive phase since an atrial septal defect (PFO) may increase the likelihood of decompression sickness.

Discuss your daughter's case with a dive-savvy cardiologist (Divers Alert Network can give you a referral) so that you can do a realistic risk assessment. Don't be surprised if the cardiologist is loathe to clear her for diving, particularly at a younger age. When she's old enough to make her own decisions, it might be worthwhile to reevaluate the situation. Until then, staying on the surface and snorkeling carries with it a lot less risk.

Thanks for the reply BubbleTrubble and sorry for the late reply back. Just getting used to this forum and wasn't aware that people replied to me yet.
We do have an appointment with her cardiologist in March.
Will shallow dives be ok? (20 feet or less)

Thanks for the reply BubbleTrubble and sorry for the late reply back. Just getting used to this forum and wasn't aware that people replied to me yet.
We do have an appointment with her cardiologist in March.
Will shallow dives be ok? (20 feet or less)
I think you might be asking the wrong question.
It's really not an issue of whether shallow dives are "OK" or not. I would be surprised if any physician would proclaim that your daughter is 100% OK to do shallow dives. That's a strong statement, and there are a lot of variables that factor into the risk assessment. Even with comprehensive cardiac testing, the cardiologist would still be making a guesstimation as to the increased risk of having a sudden cardiac event underwater (small probability, but if it occurs could result in very bad outcome) or the increased risk of decompression sickness after a dive with a shallow/"normal"/deep profile.

Something to consider is whether your daughter has any co-existing cardiac electrical disturbances. It's estimated that approx. 1/5 of all patient's with Ebstein's anomaly have a conduction abnormality known as Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome. WPW can result in patients experiencing heart-pounding/racing or fainting spells.

In general terms, a heart condition = increased risk underwater. The cardiologist should be able to help you get a handle on how much additional risk there might be. Don't hesitate to contact Divers Alert Network for a referral to a dive-savvy cardiologist. In this case, having a second opinion might be helpful.

Last edited:
Audier,
Dive depth would be only part of the risk, though only theoretical since an 8-year-old would be limited to extremely shallow, non-provocative dives. DCS related to PFO/ASD is not thought to occur in this type of dive. A more important factor is simply immersion, which causes fluids to shift into the core of the body and can increase the strain on an already struggling right ventricle. Immersion in cold water can enhance this effect. I recommend you PM Doug Ebersole, screen name debersole. He is a well-known cardiologist who works with DAN on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom