Hello and Hurricane Updates from Christi's house in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck86:
You are right!!! You are thourghly confused!!! No I am not Christi's mom I am a really good friend of Christi's and her mother and I have been in comunication with each other.

Did Christi's mom use your email account to post to the board? How did I get that impression? Anyway, Chuck, thanks for the clarification.

Moodiejeff:

This is what led to my confusion. See post below by Chuck86 on that SN.

Just recieved from Christi's mother

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm Christi's mom.

Christi is okay and so are the people with her. She called about 10:30 am. She found a nice lady that had a phone that worked. She asked me to send you a note so you can post it that they are fine. They were literally "pounded for 60 hours" according to Christi, the only relief was 30-45 minutes while the eye passed over them. Wilma did tremendous damage to the island. Christi's house got some water, she was lucky because it is a foot to knee deep everywhere else.

My wife Kate and I dived with Pedro and Mago for 9 straight days prior to the hurricane hitting. It is only thanks to Christi's early warning that we managed to get off of Coz and away from Cancun before the strike,
Thanks Christi for everything and I hope that you , Mago , Pedro and Shamu all made it through OK, our thought have most definitely been with you over the last few days

Andy & Kate Graham

Andy, I agree 100%. I arrived there the Sunday before and if she did not wake me that Wednesday Am I would not have made it out of there - got one of the last seats on Continental. She is a star!

Andy_G:
I hope that you , Mago , Pedro and Shamu all made it through OK
I've heard reports that Pedro's house was flooded pretty bad.

Shamu made it with minor damage, engine unknown at this point.

chuck86:
After what I have seen in the pictures coming out of Cozumel, I would say that you might as well be lookin at sometime after the first of the year. I would almost bet that they don't have electricity for 3 to 5 weeks.

I read your story on another board where Christi save your life. You're from Kansas aren't you??? I think we should rally and save Christi this time.

I just wanted to pass on to you guys an update from another friend of Christi's who talked to her about an hour ago. I thought that this was GREAT news and very upbeat....Here's what she had to say:

"She's in better spirits today. Her land line is now back up somehow--she thinks that the phone line was just waterlogged and had to dry out before it would work. She said that flights are iffy right now because the airport is still underwater, as we've seen from the pics. I told her all the news, including the latest I saw on another site that says 1000 electricians have arrived on the island from the mainland and they're now projecting power to be back on in the next 2 weeks. Here is the link to the post I saw:

http://www.travelnotes.cc/tchatters/viewtopic.php?t=4639

The biggest news is that she FINALLY heard from Javier, the instructor who works for her. He has been MIA since last Thursday. He called her this morning (that's how she found out her phone was working) and is fine but spent the duration of the storm alone in his dark, flooded apartment desperately trying to hold his door shut. He said he had to lean against the door for hours because it kept trying to fly open. He also stood in line yesterday for 2 hours to get 7 slices of bread--food rations are VERY tight down there right now. Poor guy--thank God he's okay. She told him to come over to her place after he gets done cleaning up his.

Anyway, she also asked me to tell everyone who brought her muffin mix THANK YOU because now that they have gas, they were able to have nice warm chocolate chip muffins for breakfast this morning. With the limited food supply, every little bit helps. She definitely had a more positive outlook today and was even laughing. With the weather being nice, and clean-up efforts already underway, things are looking up."

From someone else who talked to her a little before that said that she said that Shamu is okay, but the motor still needs a little work - they're working on the carburator right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom