Hello and Hurricane Updates from Christi's house in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie:
I'm really glad that Javier is OK.
We will be happy to help Javier out. New banana hammocks, whatever he may need!

A very enjoyable, and competent, and consistent dive master (instructor) to dive with all week...glad to hear he's ok.

.... hope normalcy returns as quickly as possible for everyone on the island.

Divedoggie:
We will be happy to help Javier out. New banana hammocks, whatever he may need!

I'm sure Javier will find that hilarious considering what he's been through.

I'm the one who talked to Christi and wrote the update Sadiesmom posted. She said Shamu's motor did start but had taken on some water, so they're working on it today. Thank goodness Mago and Pedro know how to work on motors as it appears mechanics are in short supply. I guess Shamu was pretty lucky considering all the pics I've seen today of sunken boats piled on top of one another! Her goal is to get Shamu back in the water as soon as possible. Now we will just have to wait on Funjet to decide if they're cancelling all charters like they did after Emily.....

She also said many parts of the waterfront road are impassable, so it will be a while before we get damage reports on the southern resorts. She said she could only get as far as the caletta.

I'll keep you guys updated when I hear more.....

cxg31s:
I'm sure Javier will find that hilarious considering what he's been through......
I'm serious!
Javier, Pedro, Christy....We will donate to the fund, and send/bring items of necessity!

I'm glad to hear that Javier and everyone else is okay. The pictures are horrendous. It rips my heart out to think what Christi and the rest are going through and went through during the storm.

I just can't imagine that the island will ever be the same.

Please dont cancell until you see what is going to happen. They need our help now not a few months from now. If aldora is open, and their is electricity and the planes are flying in I am going nov 17th. Kathy in Texas

scubacoz22:
Please dont cancell until you see what is going to happen. They need our help now not a few months from now. If aldora is open, and their is electricity and the planes are flying in I am going nov 17th. Kathy in Texas

My wife and I completely agree with this thought process. We are due to leave on Nov 15 and have plans to be in Coz thru the 19th. We're booked into the Caribe Blu and are diving with Christi.

Until and unless we are told that it is a no go then our plans are still on. If Christi or Angel tell us to hold off then we will , and our deposit will stay right where it is until we can reschedule.

Christi and/or Angel, if you happen to get this and there is anything you need us to bring, just let us know.

Randy

I have plans booked for Nov. 7th to the 14th at Leciebe and diving with Christi. Until I am told differant I am planning on being there. I am there to dive and if I can that is what I want to do. Christi if there is ANYTHING I can bring let me know. You have my email and my phone number.

For pictures of the devastation at Cozumel go to Stormcarib.com and scroll down to the Cozumel pictures. The Professor

I agree with not cancelling yet--if you have a trip scheduled in 2 weeks or more, you should wait to see what's going to happen. I have a group going Nov 18-25, a charter trip booked through Funjet, staying at Hotel Cozumel and diving with Christi. When I talked to Christi yesterday, she said Shamu's motor did start, they were just working on the carburetor. From the reports, Hotel Cozumel suffered minimal damage and will probably be fine by then.

So now all we're waiting on is for Funjet to make a decision about the flights. Right now they are working to get all remaining tourists out of the area, so they haven't had time to evaluate future plans yet. From Funjet's website, they have only cancelled flights through Oct 31 so far, so if you booked through them, try to hang in there until final word comes in.

If Funjet does cancel all flights due to the destruction of the southern resorts (their main moneymakers), my group's contingency plan is to try to get a flight on Continental or another airline and stay at one of the hotels in town. We still plan on diving with Christi and have already volunteered to be part of the reef cleanup crew.

Let's turn this into a positive and help out where we can. Right now, we can help most by being patient and not cancelling our trips until the dust has settled and the folks down there know where they stand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom