Hello and Hurricane Updates from Christi's house in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought Thanksgiving would be a great time to take the girlfriend and kids diving in Coz... now why did this hurricane have to ruin my plans??

Since we are all flying from LA to Coz, we really need to know if the hotel is still standing and has any prayer at all to be functioning. Does anyone out there in the cyber world of scuba board know if the Fiesta Americana is standing and what conditin it is in?

I read good things about "Christi" - who ever that is. Is she an instructor/DM? I still need to book a dive boat, (assuming there are any left to dive on...).

Any input or information someone might have would be terrific. Thanks for helping a cold water diver get a little information...

AH:14:

We're due to arrive in Coz Nov. 26-Dec 3. We are waiting until next week to make our final decisions with regards to cancelling or rescheduling. We can at least give Coz the w/e to let us know the real story on conditions.

AllanHarr:
Does anyone out there in the cyber world of scuba board know if the Fiesta Americana is standing and what conditin it is in?
From what I have read the Fiesta is still standing but they are closed and not scheduled to reopen until Dec. 15th. Of course this is probably a preliminary estimate.

We're also scheduled for a trip, November 23-29 staying at Villablanca. Waiting until next week to see what the status is, and checking Delta's website for flight information. We're flying into Cancun so that may complicate things a bit. We're still hoping to make the trip, and plan to participate in reef clean-up dives as well. May have to change our accomodations, but waiting for news once things start to settle down a bit.

I am supposed to be at Villablanca Nov 12-19. Let me know if you hear about their status, and I will let you know if I do first, ok?:)

Pulled this off of the Dive Paradise website just now. Looks like we may be OK on our hotel for this trip (Nov. 23-29) but will have to find someone else to dive with. If anyone hears from Christi about their status we'll give them a try this time.

Oct 26 1PM CST - Hurricane Wilma Update - We hope to have Dive Paradise back up and running at full steam in 3 months (or sooner!) Hotel Barracuda plans to be operational in 3 months. Both Hotel Cozumel & Resort and Hotel Villablanca received minor damage - rooms and pools seem to be intact. We foresee a tough job ahead for everyone as there is a tremendous amount of cleanup and repair/rebuilding that needs to be done throughout the town and island, but we still have the spirit to make it happen. No hurricane will ever take that from us.

We are so grateful for your thoughts & prayers during this rough period and wish to thank you for your patience, understanding and continued support. Currently, there is still no electricity and very few phones are working. We promise to keep you posted on our progress. - Apple (DP Owner) & Staff

Christi,

I'm glad that you and your friends all made it through safely, my thoughts were with you when I could see the eye over Coz, we were 100 miles away and had strong winds and rough seas so can only imagine what it must have been like. Javier's a strong guy as well, for him to have to hold a door shut that must have been some wind!

Anyway please let me know if there's anything at all I can do from down here to help out, anything? Please pass on my regards and best wishers to Javier, Magu and Pedro, they are in our thoughts.

Regards,
Andy

Back
Top Bottom