Hello and Hurricane Updates from Christi's house in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rest well, friends. Hold tight and live to see another day. The sun WILL shine again over Cozumel, and she will once again be as warm and hospitable as her inhabitants. My prayers are still coming your way.

My thought and prayers are out there with all the people in Cozumel. I hope that there isnt too much damage that cannot be repared. Cozumel needs to be "saved". Kathy

This is from Trish on the cozumelmycozumel.com board about 45 mins ago:

still have phones and internet, for now, in san miguel. what seemed to be the eye passed over about 3:30... got quite still, all the neighbors rushed out to check things out and repair loose boards, rushed back in when the wind started up again at 4. The storm hasn't picked up like earlier in the day yet, though. Will be a long night ahead, I'm sure...

trish in cozumel
Mesa 17

I am so very happy to hear that someone has contact with the island; we have a home there near the airport; not really concerned about the house; it is concrete and will probably survive and furniture can be replaced, but I am very concerned about many friends on the island and your post gives me much hope. I am so worried about everyone.

Thank you for taking the time to post these updates. I will be so glad when this one passes.

casaceka

Tavi:
I nominate Christi for ScubaBoarder of the year!! :thumb:

I'll tell you what, next time I'm in Coz, it won't matter what sort of business she is in, be it diving, retail, resturant or whatever the desire strikes her (by the time I get there!), I will be a customer. What a fine example of a good and decent human being.

I spoke to Christi again briefly at about 7pm EDT (6pm in Coz). She sounded absolutely exhausted. They still haven't slept. Although at one point it looked like all of Coz was covered by the eye and they should've been in sunny weather, she reported that they never saw that at all....all they got was a slight slackening in winds. They used that time to squeegee the floors - she had 2 inches of rain downstairs and an inch upstairs that had worked its way under the doors and in the windowframes. It's not a matter of flooding, but that the wind is forcing the rain in every crack. All the towels are too soaked now to do any good soaking it up.

Unfortunately, even that slight respite is now over and the storm is cranking back up to full force again. Christi was going to go upstairs to try to get some sleep - it's been almost 48 hours since she's been able to sleep at all.

I'd called from my cellphone and frankly, was surprised that it was working in the middle of this so we had to keep things short in order to preserve her cell battery. She said she'd call back later. I'll update again when I hear more....

Back
Top Bottom