Hello from New Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi all
Newish diver (and family) posting
Got certified last summer and had some great dives - me and wife and 3 teens did a weeks worth of boat dives off South Carolina. Wreck diving with Coastal Scuba. Was very cool.
Going to be headed to Bonaire this summer. We have identified newbie dives there. Any practical feedback would be appreciated. FYI we are going to rent equipment. And my wife’s best friend is going. She’s a dive master and instructor.

Welcome and hello from a native of Yonkers. I dived with Coastal years ago and found it to be pretty good (General Sherman wreck).
Where are you in NJ? I've shore dived the Allenhurst Jetty, Manasquan R. Railroad Bridge and MaClearie Park near Belmar. Do you dive locally? Do you know of any other shore dives for a day trip from NY (I'm there every July). Thanks.

Welcome and hello from a native of Yonkers. I dived with Coastal years ago and found it to be pretty good (General Sherman wreck).
Where are you in NJ? I've shore dived the Allenhurst Jetty, Manasquan R. Railroad Bridge and MaClearie Park near Belmar. Do you dive locally? Do you know of any other shore dives for a day trip from NY (I'm there every July). Thanks.
Hello! I’m in Howell NJ. About 7 miles from Belmar. Did most of my certification diving at the park in Belmar this was early spring last year. Then at the end of summer we went to visit my wife’s friend in South Carolina. That’s when we did their certification and boat dives. Coastal was great but my first boat dive was a bit scary. But after first roll I was good. Charleston tug, the Sherman, barracuda alley were great!
Haven’t done much more than that except pumpkin carving this past fall (in Belmar) had a blast with the folks from Divers 2. My wife and 3 kids did their certification with Coastal. I used Divers 2 out of Belmar and they are a great resource for local dives. They have their boat dive schedule posted already. Worth looking into. I’m still not certified past initial dive cert so I’m limited in depth. Boat dives around here go past 65 feet
We are going to Bonaire this summer. Probubly be our last big vacation - will have 2 in college and one still in high school. :)

Hello! I’m in Howell NJ. About 7 miles from Belmar. Did most of my certification diving at the park in Belmar this was early spring last year. Then at the end of summer we went to visit my wife’s friend in South Carolina. That’s when we did their certification and boat dives. Coastal was great but my first boat dive was a bit scary. But after first roll I was good. Charleston tug, the Sherman, barracuda alley were great!
Haven’t done much more than that except pumpkin carving this past fall (in Belmar) had a blast with the folks from Divers 2. My wife and 3 kids did their certification with Coastal. I used Divers 2 out of Belmar and they are a great resource for local dives. They have their boat dive schedule posted already. Worth looking into. I’m still not certified past initial dive cert so I’m limited in depth. Boat dives around here go past 65 feet
We are going to Bonaire this summer. Probubly be our last big vacation - will have 2 in college and one still in high school. :)

SleeperSlept, Welcome to the SB. I'm a local Jersey shore diver. I use D2 as well. There is some Great diving to do in Bonaire. Hard sole Booties is my suggestion. A week of shore diving can be brutal on the feet there. Definitely go through all the dive sites and plan your dives ahead of time. This way you can dive off a predetermined list and not waste time driving around wondering what site to do next.

The boat list for D2 is a good one this year. It has a nice mix for the beginner through the more advanced sites. They like to put some shallow sites in there so divers can get the rust off and have easy dives. Plus they like to have "student" worthy dive sites. great for AOW, Wreck, Navigation cert students. I'm currently doing my DM cert through them. I will be on the boat all year hopefully you guys can make it out. Let me know if yo have any other questions.

SleeperSlept, Welcome to the SB. I'm a local Jersey shore diver. I use D2 as well. There is some Great diving to do in Bonaire. Hard sole Booties is my suggestion. A week of shore diving can be brutal on the feet there. Definitely go through all the dive sites and plan your dives ahead of time. This way you can dive off a predetermined list and not waste time driving around wondering what site to do next.

The boat list for D2 is a good one this year. It has a nice mix for the beginner through the more advanced sites. They like to put some shallow sites in there so divers can get the rust off and have easy dives. Plus they like to have "student" worthy dive sites. great for AOW, Wreck, Navigation cert students. I'm currently doing my DM cert through them. I will be on the boat all year hopefully you guys can make it out. Let me know if yo have any other questions.
Cool. After paying for Bonair I hope I can do a few more dives in Jersey :)

welcome Sleeperslept you are going to love Bonaire-nice easy shore diving and not too far a swim until reefs start-got to dive the Salt mines, 1,000 steps, & Hilma Hooker..

Welcome to SB. Lots of good people hang out here where you can learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom