Hello from Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband & I are experienced divers, (since 1985), but have never dived Roatan. We are planning the first week at Royal Playa - friend of a friend - but, we are undecided as to where to stay in the west end, and whom to dive thru. Tentatively, were looking at Paradise Lost - cheap - and then diving with someone. Any recommendations?

Hi Abraham! I am a new member and very new to this type of forum on the internet....even though I am young and work in a technical industry. I was so excited to see someone on here from Roatan. I am heavily considering the Divemaster internship program in Roatan but was hoping I could get a better idea of what its like there, day-to-day and what would I be able to do with my certification? I am mainly asking because I've been thinking about doing this since I was certified in 1998 in college but took the "safe route" and got a desk job that I loathe now. I want to explore the diving industry and most of all, improve my diving skills and share them with others who enjoy it! Any information you could give me would be great! I don't want diving to be just a recreational sport for me!

I have been to Roatan the last two summers and stayed at CoCo View resort. It is an awesome place with great staff. My friend even did her certification dives there this year. We will more than likely be going back next summer. I have not been to any of the other resorts, but this one is great.

Hi Bryon,
Sorry, I personally do not do dive trips but dive (when time allows) with Bananarama as I mentioned in a previous post. My buddy and I went out Saturday with them and there were
only 3 of us with Marco (one of the great DM's there). One thing is certain, you and your wife will NEVER feel like you are on a cattle drive with them as they will talk and listen to you and give you what would be tailored to your skill and comfort level. A real nice, relaxed no pressure resort.
Check them out at Bananarama Dive and Beach Resort
Abraham.

PS, on my way to do a couple of dives this morning.

Hi,
As you may have seen in my reply to others who have asked me my dive operation of choice in the West Bay area of Roatan (I live in West Bay) is Bananarama. It is a small resort that is inexpensive and very well run. It is relaxed with one of the best dive operations I know of.
They are serious enough to have all safety aspect well covered but relaxed enough to allow you to have all the input you want as to what level (both comfort and experience) you want to part take in. Small groups, small dive boats great people and well run resort with bar, restaurant dive shop and right on the best beach in Roatan with a ton to do in the West Bay area.
I'm going diving this morning.
Abraham.

Hello Lady LB,
If you are considering getting your DM certificate there isn't a better place (or cheaper) place to do it then Roatan or one of the other bay islands. Roatan is the largest with most to offer and was my choice to buy a home in. The West Bay/West End area is the nicest (again in my opinion) and has most to offer. There are literally dozens of dive facilities to choose from and it would be a matter of what you liked best. The dive facility I like and personally us is Bananarama. It's a small well-run resort that is inexpensive with a restaurant, great bar a well-run dive operation and fantastic beach.
If you want to know more drop me a line.
Abraham.

Hi,
CoCo view is a real nice place, just somewhat out of the way.
I personally like the West Bay/West End area.
But the bottom line is anywhere in Roatan is fantastic diving!!
Abraham.

Hi to All,

Just came back from Roatan, it has been a week of pure delight. We were at Las Rocas in West Bay. The amenities are a little bit plain but the personal is super. The two dive Masters are very competent, lively and flexible. The boat was for eight people but on most dive we were only two or four. We were diving twice a day. We did a night dive that was extraordinary; we saw an octopus, a turtle and a huge crab, all very colourful.

The sites I enjoyed the most were El Aquario, Blue Channel and a wreck at 80 feet, El Aquila (just in front of Anthony’s Key).

Next time I go to Roatan I will stay at the Henry Morgan because my wife want a big pool but I will take my dive package with Las Rocas because of the dive Masters and the fact that it is more fun in small group.

Beside the sand flies on the beach and the fact it was very hot everything was perfect. Politically it is very quiet, I had only one conversation at the bar with a local, not more than that.

Too bad, I will have to live on these memories for a while.

Happy dive to all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom