Help a noob : buying my first snorkel gear set - What are the "good" brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I consider the mask to be something you absolutely have to try on in water. I have 6 masks but I only use 2 and they are identical. All the others leak on my face yet they are perfectly fine masks. In fact they are more expensive than the ones I use. For a while I felt the most expensive and new cool featured masks were what I had to have. Too late I figured out that fit is the only thing that matters and it is a totally individual fit. Brand and price don't mean didelydoo. I would certainly want to try the mask in a dive shop pool before purchasing one.

For a snorkel I would look quite closely at those which can be folded up and put in your pocket. As you move into diving you may find the snorkel to be irritating while diving yet useful while on the surface waiting to get back on the boat. A foldable snorkel is - for me, the perfect solution.

For fins I would look at how horizontal or vertical you hang in the water when relaxed. If you are feet down then consider some that float. Also be aware that the weight of fins varies dramatically. When I go to places that involve flying a smaller plane you often run into Weight nazis. Going to the red sea I could take 8 kilos for my second bag. Every ounce counted so I didn't use my scubapro split jetfins. Just some solid blades which literally weigh less than half the weight of the others. Consider where you want to dive and how weight restrictive they might be.

Just some things to chew on as you make your decisions.

Wow thanks guys... didn't think I'd get that many (detailed) answers!
However I'll be shopping mostly online, so trying on (as much as it looks important) is impossible. Finding a local store is a bit hard over here (Montreal). What do you mean by trying on? Do stores actually let customers buy the gear and return it, or do you try it on at the store?

Thanks again!

you should ALWAYS try gear on in the store. That being said, most good shops will let you return it and swap it out if it doesn't fit right. Also, a lot of shops will give you the option to get in the pool and try the gear out in the pool before you go home :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Would also say buy gear in the store and fit yourself first.! look for a diveshop with winter sales usually happends around nov-dec

Wow thanks guys... didn't think I'd get that many (detailed) answers!
However I'll be shopping mostly online, so trying on (as much as it looks important) is impossible. Finding a local store is a bit hard over here (Montreal). What do you mean by trying on? Do stores actually let customers buy the gear and return it, or do you try it on at the store?

Thanks again!

You don't necessarily have to shop online. I can think of 5 (off the top of my head) dive shops on the island of Montreal where you can try on masks and fins for snorkeling. PM me if you want the list.

Thanks everyone. Is there such a thing as "sizes", just like clothing (S, M, L, XL)? Or is it only to try everything that looks good?

Thanks everyone. Is there such a thing as "sizes", just like clothing (S, M, L, XL)? Or is it only to try everything that looks good?
Neither masks nor snorkels come in different sizes, but that doesn't mean they are all the same size. Some masks are designed for narrow faces, others for broad faces, although they are rarely labelled as such.

As for fins, they are indeed sized, but in size ranges, e.g. 10-12, rather than single shoe sizes. This means that somebody with size 10 feet may find 10-12 sized fins a little loose, while people with size 12 feet may find the same pair a little on the tight size. Be aware that there is more than one kind of sizing when it comes to fins:

XXS - XXL: Pretty meaningless system. XXL can be anything from US size 12 to US size 19.
US sizes: Child 1-13, Adult 1-19
UK/Australian sizes: same range as US, but the number tends to be one less than the corresponding US size.
21-52: European sizes

The following table might help:
http://www.size-chart-shoe-clothing...uploads/1/2/9/5/12950690/1819372_orig.jpg?611

A further complication is that some fin model foot pockets are not "true to size", running larger or smaller than indicated. So my advice remains: try everything on, don't rely on the sizes embossed on fins!

Attachments

• 1819372_orig.jpg
    1819372_orig.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,161
anything thing will really do for starting, but Aqualung does make some great products, i use their suits,fins,gloves so forth might wanna try the stuff on before you buy, and avoid the online buying

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom