Help Deciding On Dives - Cancun Or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcrownover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm staying in Cancun in June and will have about two days to dive and could really use help with:

1. I know I want to do MUSA and and a Cancun reef but keep hearing to go to Cozumel. It does take up a full day versus in Cancun which I can do in half a day for 2 tanks (I have family hanging at at resort I have to give love to). Is Cozumel worth the full day and price?
2. I've researched so may dive shops I'm dizzy. Keep seeing Manta and Always Diving on scubaboard.com, anyone else I should seriously consider?
3. tip in pesos or US$? How much?

Thanks!

To answer your first question, Cancun does NOT compare to Cozumel; like different worlds. Cancun has diving, Cozumel IS diving. If you truly want to enjoy your dive days take the time and get to Cozumel - you will not be disappointed. Yes, I have dove both locations and return to Cozumel annually. I am actually in Cozumel right now.

As for dive shops, we prefer dive with martin and Dive Palancar.

We typically tip the DM $20.00 for the day. This would cover a typical 2 tank 2 person (wife and I) dive. The service is excellent (valet diving) and they're very conscience of your safety.

Thanks, Kerry. This is very helpful. Do dive shops prefer cash or credit cards for the dives?

If you have never been to Cozumel diving, love to dive, and are so close in Cancun, do not miss the opportunity. Definitely worth it in terms of time and money. Hopefullly all the love you give to your family the other 363 or 364 days of the year is appreciated enough to get some back.There are many good dive ops there. A couple of consistently reccommended ones are Aldora and Tres Pelicanos, but if you are just going for a day (or two) it's hard to go wrong with several others. I always pay for dives with plastic and tip $10.00 cash per dive to the divemaster. Hope you make it.

If you're up for a long day then try the ferry slog to cozumel and back. Cancun and Cozumel are different, but how different will they be? You're diving only one day in Cozumel? If you ended up at some of the better dive sites on your one day you'd see a difference between Cancun and Cozumel, if your dive operator takes you to the more general sites you aren't going to see that much difference. You can somewhat influence this with whom you pick to dive with, but I can name a half dozen dives in Cozumel that if you ended up on them because of reasons such as you end up with a boat full of newer divers, or your dive operator was limiting your dive site choices due to they don't know you and you're showing up for one day of diving and they haven't had a chance to see what caliber of diver you are, you aren't going to experience much different than you would have in Cancun, but you'll spend a large part of your day making it happen. Basically all the same marine life exists in both places (same eco system, not that far apart) Cozumel has greater variety of giant towering coral formations, giant swim throughs, deep walls... (question is would you really get to see any of it? other than that the shallower reefs between Cozumel and Cancun are almost identical)

Murky Watercom post: 7681043:
If you have never been to Cozumel diving, love to dive, and are so close in Cancun, do not miss the opportunity. Definitely worth it in terms of time and money. Hopefullly all the love you give to your family the other 363 or 364 days of the year is appreciated enough to get some back.There are many good dive ops there. A couple of consistently reccommended ones are Aldora and Tres Pelicanos, but if you are just going for a day (or two) it's hard to go wrong with several others. I always pay for dives with plastic and tip $10.00 cash per dive to the divemaster. Hope you make it.
If I were in your shoes I would try for a 2 day trip. Take a mid morning bus to Playa and then the ferry over to Cozumel, takes about 2 hours. Plan for the 11AM ferry ( worst case senerio miss it and make the noon). Do an afternoon 2 tank dive and then grab a downtown hotel for $45 - 50 USD and relax for an evening downtown. Next morning do another 2 tank dive and in the afternoon catch the 2PM ferry back and be back in Cancun at 4-5 PM.

PS: Talk to the nice lady, Jeanie, who can set up the dives and hotel for you dive@trespelicanos.com If it is over a weekend I may see you on the boat!

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes I would try for a 2 day trip. Take a mid morning bus to Playa and then the ferry over to Cozumel, takes about 2 hours. Plan for the 11AM ferry ( worst case senerio miss it and make the noon). Do an afternoon 2 tank dive and then grab a downtown hotel for $45 - 50 USD and relax for an evening downtown. Next morning do another 2 tank dive and in the afternoon catch the 2PM ferry back and be back in Cancun at 4-5 PM.

Stated like a pro!!

I would highly recommend going to Cozumel, it is definitely worth the trip. However, I do understand the how it is to have family waiting on you. (my wife doesn't always dive with me, someone has to stay with the kids). That said, if you don't take that opportunity, consider doing the cenotes. You would still have to make the trip south but no ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom