Help, first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote (by proxy) for the Zena. My wife loves it. She tried a BP/W and found no benefit from it. She's tried several BC's and feels that the female specific design of the Zena is the most comfortable and well fitting design for her. She's 5'5" 125lbs.

Please, please, please, whatever you choose TRY before you buy!! Just because something is recommended here (no matter how strongly), it doesn't mean it'll be right for you.

For example, after reading all the recommendations for a BP/W here, I tried one. HATED, HATED, HATED it!! Yes, it was fitted to me by someone who knows (a major tech diver friend), but I didn't like how it fit on my body, what a relative pain it was to get on, and it was simply very uncomfortable (and I loathed the crotch strap!). I've posted this before, and often heard that it would take a bit of getting used to, so I shouldn't give up and keep using it. Huh?? Why the heck would I stop using my very comfortable Zeagle Zena that is basically a corset and wing to "get used to" a BP/W??? This just didn't make sense to me.

On the other hand, my first BC was a SeaQuest Diva which I absolutely hated after only doing 10 dives with it. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend who has one and loves it...and still dives hers, though I sold mine immediately.

So although I do recommend ladies check out the Zeagle Zena and other Zeagle BCs due to their modular design and near custom fit capability, I typically don't recommend the Zena to ladies who wear dry suits. The zip up corset can interfere with the dry suit valve, and frankly with only 34# of lift, it might not have enough lift for serious cold water diving.

The RIGHT answer IMO is whatever BC fits you best, is very comfortable, and meets YOUR needs is the perfect BC for you...and you should buy it, wear it, and enjoy it. :)

Please, please, please, whatever you choose TRY before you buy!! Just because something is recommended here (no matter how strongly), it doesn't mean it'll be right for you. :)
This just can't be stressed enough!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter (23 Dive Master) just bought an Aqualung Pearl i3. Take a look see....it is the 1st BCD that i think had ladies in mind...though in my daughter's case she saw the Pink stitching (she says looking good under water is important) and also saw several instructing ladies wear this BCD.

Ha... Nice one Bronson :D I love that you're standing up for your daughter. But to be honest, that REALLY sounds like the typical sort of thing a 23 year old divemaster would say. Pink stitching sure makes it worth all that cash :p

The pearl? t looks like the most expensive bra I've ever seen. :rofl3: Not only that, the i3 (like the Mares AirTrim etc) is another expensive gimmick. All the lady instructors are wearing it? Why? How are you supposed to demonstrate to students proper method of deflating the BC with the corrugated hose when you aren't even equipped with one? Hmmm...

Maegomez, you do not need to look like you have money to be a diver. I see a lot of people with a lot of expensive gimmicky toys that can't dive for peanuts. Save your cash and buy yourself something like a Mares Icon/Scubapro Ladyhawk if you want rear inflation... If not, then go for something like a Seaquest Pro QD, great BC for the price.

If you need any more advice, please don't hesitate to PM me.

-- Nemo

maegomez go to Captain Aqua's in hayward you will find a great price on Aqualung Diva bcd

Okay, so I've never understood the whole "bra" thing that some BCs have. Good grief, my chest is so "supported" from my wetsuit that the last thing on earth I'd need is a BC with a bra!! :mooner:

I am thinking of starting a thread where I ask the best way to mount my spare air to my backplate......

zip ties and retractors.... but it has to be mounted right behind your head... doubles as a head rest when your on the surface waiting for the boat to pick you up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom