Help in choosing bc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of the mouth of babes . . . :) Individually, I might not have selected the Transplate harness, simply because it is a 'deluxe' style, with more D-rings than necessary, and pivot rings on the shoulder straps, none of which I find to be necessary. But, I have dove one, and they work well. The SS BP - good choice for the majority of diving you will probably do. In some cases, divers may find that the SS BP is a bit heavy, if they are inherently negatively buoyant, and/or are diving warm water with no exposure suit. But, for many (myself included) a SS BP works fine in tropical conditions. And, the 45 lb Rec Wing, while a little on the large side for warm water, single cylinder diving, will give adequate service. Go out and dive with your new gear, and enjoy it.
Hey, not trying to provoke, but if the Transplate is an acceptable choice, what are the advantages over the Transpac?I think that the Transpac would be lighter, better for trekking over land, maybe not as versatile for possible later tech directions.

A hard plate is preferred if tech diving is on the horizon in my opinion. Soft plates are great for single tanks and warm water diving, however I find they are not stable enough when you start throwing doubles on your back, carrying multiple stages, etc. However, these problems may be unique to me.

Realistically, the only think that tweaks me about OP's choice is the harness. Extra padding means extra inherent buoyancy, extra d-rings mean clutter, side release buckles mean failure points, chest straps mean the harness isn't routing correctly around the body.

But here's the great thing, if he likes it, that's what counts. He has to dive it, not me.

I get the minimalistic approach.
Why would chest straps mean that the harness isn't routing correctly?

Thank you Diver0001. I completely agree with you. I also get the impression of things out of control here. I'm not intimidated by anyone. And all ready choosed the bs i want. Particularly by what was writed here.
I choose dive riteTRANSPLATE HARNESS with ss plate and 45 lbs Rec wing

If it's not too late, I suggest you return the rec wing and get a much smaller wing designed for single tanks. The rec wing is really a double tank wing, and a not-particularly-small one at that. It's very cumbersome for single tank diving. You're in tropical conditions, get the travel exp wing instead. You'll be MUCH happier with it. I own both the rec wing and a travel wing, and I can assure you that the rec wing is terrible for single tanks.

Dive rite gear is well made and I have never had a problem with their customer service, but they do tend to make their wings larger than some other companies. This can be a real nuisance with single tanks.

I also apologize for the very rude treatment of a new poster. Personally, I like to save my rudeness for the regulars! :wink:

If it's not too late, I suggest you return the rec wing and get a much smaller wing designed for single tanks. The rec wing is really a double tank wing, and a not-particularly-small one at that. It's very cumbersome for single tank diving. You're in tropical conditions, get the travel exp wing instead. You'll be MUCH happier with it. I own both the rec wing and a travel wing, and I can assure you that the rec wing is terrible for single tanks.

Dive rite gear is well made and I have never had a problem with their customer service, but they do tend to make their wings larger than some other companies. This can be a real nuisance with single tanks.

I also apologize for the very rude treatment of a new poster. Personally, I like to save my rudeness for the regulars! :wink:

Agreed......for the wing exchange and the rudeness to regulars.....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to believe that chest straps were always a sign of an improperly adjusted harness. Then I ran into a student whose torso to height ratio put the straps in his arm pits no matter what we tried and his shoulders kept sliding a strap off. The addition of a chest strap and a manta harness with the hardware they use made all the difference. I have since developed an h harness style for one of my plates. It actually works better for me, is easier to get in and out of, and puts things in better position FOR ME. I also use h style harnesses on my sidemount rigs.
I am reminded of a closed minded jerk that used to get into pissing contests with ts&m over hogarthian gear set ups after she went to the dark side. That guy had to apologize to her later after opening my mind and trying the set up when I did. I then became as rigid over the basic harness. Not so much now.
Oh and I own a freedom contour plate. One sweet piece of gear. It's my go to single tank rig. With an al 80 and a 3 mil or 5 mil I don't even bother with a wing. Just carry a lift bag for back up buoyancy. Eric did one hell of a job with those plates. All hand made and finished. They are rare and always draw looks and comments.

I used to believe that chest straps were always a sign of an improperly adjusted harness. Then I ran into a student whose torso to height ratio put the straps in his arm pits no matter what we tried and his shoulders kept sliding a strap off.

If one looks hard enough exceptions can always be found. I have no problem with that. I've helped equip folks with a variety of challenges.

The fact remains that for the vast majority of users of normal stature and proportions a properly adjusted harness, mated to a correctly sized back plate will make a chest strap un necessary.

Citing a rare and unique circumstance to invalidate sound basic advice is IMO unwise.

Very few need a chest strap, they frequently used to compensate for an incorrectly adjusted harness, and have a good chance of interfering with a drysuit inflator.

We all know new divers, supported by the "you need more gear" industry all too often reach for a gear solution to a skills or experience deficit.

Tobin

Sorry , but I just wanted to show that I like brands other than Halcyon...so I mentioned DSS & Oxycheck, and I showed a pic of a Freedom Contour plate I googled....I have no idea who it belongs to.

If you want to scrutinize my dive buddies, here are Bill and Mat with typical configuration:
I am not in any position to scrutinize any configuration. I was only surprised to see you posted a photo on something which is contradicted to your believe.

I know the position of the torch and the extra D-ring won't make any difference in the choice of the BC. But I thought you would have noticed the "mistakes" before posting the picture. Because you had given me an impression as a man of fine detail.
But no one is perfect.
Maybe the guy who uses that rig added the right waist strap D-ring for a game hook/fish stringer/goody-lobster bag, who knows? Not everybody who uses a plate and wing has to be DIR you know.
Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom