Help in choosing bc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is this not a BP/W? (with a wing added...)

hollis.JPG

Oh yeah, it doesn't have the Halcyon Blue tax at twice the price...:shakehead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Diver0001. I completely agree with you. I also get the impression of things out of control here. I'm not intimidated by anyone. And all ready choosed the bs i want. Particularly by what was writed here.
I choose dive riteTRANSPLATE HARNESS with ss plate and 45 lbs Rec wing

Well, buoyancy issues of a 15L tin can that holds 200 times its volume of air

Irrelevant.

My point was that buoyancy is a function of both weight and volume, so two objects with the same weight but different volumes would have different buoyancy. It seems I made a mistake by using the most obvious example I could think of.

wouldn't be quite in the same ballpark with 400g of 3mm-thick Al vs 300g of 4mm-thick epoxy-fiberglass.

Where do you get 400g backplates? Halcyon's standard Al backplate is 2lbs/0.9kg.

But I'll concede that the total effect would be minor. Since Al has a density of ~2.7, that plate has a net negative buoyancy of only ~0.6kg.

For BP/W, Hollis is just not the same quality level as Halycon, DSS or Scubapro. I would say it isn't as good as dive rite as well.

How would you qualify that statement? I have oxy, hollis, and hog wings. All seem to have a similar quality feel.

In terms of comfort, above water all those cushy pads might feel OK, but they often require additional weight to sink, so perhaps a wash? Below the surface, a rig that is snug and simple feels much more comfortable to me (opinion).

Where do you get 400g backplates? Halcyon's standard Al backplate is 2lbs/0.9kg.

But I'll concede that the total effect would be minor. Since Al has a density of ~2.7, that plate has a net negative buoyancy of only ~0.6kg.

You should see me convert Fahrenheit to Celsius...

Point is, a bp/wing system should let you be efficient in the water....if ever you need to be.
If you don't want to be efficient, you might as well dive a scuba pro stab jacket !

I don't get it. I am always amazed by the negativity of the posts. I too, "Dive for fun" , but in my personal and professional life, I've learned to temper my responses with the goal of helping others in a thoughtful manner (not illustrating the width and breath of my knowledge). I dive with an "H" system. Yes I paid more for it, but Halcyon also replaced a seven year old outer shell that was fraying at the OPV, with a brand new entire wing at no charge. And yes, I occasionally dive with a 20 year old ScubaPro Stab jacket. Two different types of BC's that I enjoy diving with, because to me, diving is a sport.

.... are we to assume that all the product designers/managers at Hollis or Scubapro are idiots...

I won't comment on IQ, however, I do feel that maybe they are influenced by market competition to create products that either:

1. Spring from the imagination of a marketing team, not actual divers...

2. Allow the advertising department to meaninglessly incorporate the words 'tek', 'tec', 'tech' or 'technical'.... and/or name components WITH as many technological sounding three-letter abbreviations (TLA) as possible.

3. Compete in market areas that the company has no experience or interest in, simply because brand loyalty (customers who automatically select the same brand for every purchase) will mean a return on investment providing the junk... err... I mean product... is cheap enough.

Personally, I don't assume any specialty or advanced diving expertise in the design departments of many major brands... None at all.

I also get the impression of things out of control here.
Out of the mouth of babes . . . :) Thanks to the OP for stating a reaction that I fear more than a few posters have, when their simple, sincere question gets lost in a crossfire of personality. Perhaps, this is a good reminder for all of us - to try and stay on, or reasonably close to, the topic of the initial question or comment.
And all ready choosed the bs i want. Particularly by what was writed here, I choose dive rite TRANSPLATE HARNESS with ss plate and 45 lbs Rec wing
A not unreasonable choice. Individually, I might not have selected the Transplate harness, simply because it is a 'deluxe' style, with more D-rings than necessary, and pivot rings on the shoulder straps, none of which I find to be necessary. But, I have dove one, and they work well. The SS BP - good choice for the majority of diving you will probably do. In some cases, divers may find that the SS BP is a bit heavy, if they are inherently negatively buoyant, and/or are diving warm water with no exposure suit. But, for many (myself included) a SS BP works fine in tropical conditions. And, the 45 lb Rec Wing, while a little on the large side for warm water, single cylinder diving, will give adequate service.

Go out and dive with your new gear, and enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom