Help in choosing bc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread reopened after cleanup. Insulting, bickering and off topic posts and those quoting them have been removed as ToS violations. All those whose posts required further action have been notified of that action by PM. Please keep it on topic and polite any further ToS violations will result in warnings and potential bans. It seems that "those" who have a tendency to hijack or push an agenda into a thread rarely start their own Threads regarding such things.
Sheila (BoP) Sr Mod

Start minimalist and add stuff IF you need it.

Such is the glory of a modular approach. :wink:

To buy everything.... a big silly package... and then start retiring superfluous items to gather dust in a crate under the stairs seems imprudent...

Hey, not trying to provoke, but if the Transplate is an acceptable choice, what are the advantages over the Transpac?I think that the Transpac would be lighter, better for trekking over land, maybe not as versatile for possible later tech directions.
Good comments and questions!

From my perspective, the Transplate harness with a SS BP has a particular advantage - the weight a) positioned in the 'right' place on the diver (adjacent to their center of lift), which b) provides a negatively buoyant BCD, whereas the Transpac is a 'soft' BP and not inherently negative - you therefore have to add weight to compensate for the positive buoyancy of the Transpac - whatever weight you need to allow for a descent and holding a 15ft SS at the end of the dive.

Personally, I don't care to have to add lead to my rig to compensate for the inherent positive buoyancy of my BCD. But, I have 3 Transpac harnesses, so I am not a harsh critic of the Transpac.

The issue of 'trekking over land' to reach a site is probably worth considering. But, you have to carry the weight, either way. With the Transplate and SS BP, it is on your back. But, with a Transpac, you still have to carry added lead (somewhere), and the total will probably be a bit more than the 6lb SS plate, because you have to carry 6lb to equal the weight of the plate, and some additional amount to offset the (slight) positive buoyancy of the Transpac. I seldom do dives where I am walking very far from the vehicle to the entry (or my boat seat to the entry) so I haven't had an issue with wearing a rig with a SS BP for an extended hike. Others may dive in different spots, and their experience may vary. But, the TOTAL weight you will carry while trekking to the entry will be the same, or even slightly higher, with a Transpac.

At the risk of possibly sounding like a heretic, I am not willing to say the Transpac won't work for technical diving. Yes, I personally prefer a 'hard' backplate. But, I have done technical dives with a Transpac and double 130s, with an 80 and a 40 for deco, and it worked well (with stabilizing plates). So, I wouldn't pick a Transplate / SS BP ONLY because I wanted to be rigged for technical diving in the future. In fact, the Transpac 'soft' plate might be useful where you plan to dive wet, with heavy steels on your back, and want to avoid being conspicuously overweighted. Generally, the weight and weight distribution of a SS BP rig have some advantages, as I have outlined. And, a 'hard' BCD is my personal preference, as I have also mentioned. But, a Transpac is not a bad choice.

Thank you all.
After last posts i will try transpac with soft and with hard bp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom