Help me pick a wrist-mounted computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
Answering the question as to "what is the best" tool requires knowing something about the user and how he intends to use the tool. Here is some background on me.

I have been certified since 1980, and I have been diving off and on since then. Except for open water dives for my first certification (which was in Monterey Bay--brrrr), my dives have always been in resort locations. Hawaii, the Caribbean, Mexico, Belize, and the like. My guess is that I have done something like 30 to 60 dives (I haven't logged my dives until recently). I currently have an Advanced Open Water PADI certification.

All the dives that I have done were with professional divemasters who were responsible for planning the dive and who directed the dive (typically with a group of 5 or 6 divers).

My deepest dive was 30 meters, and I doubt I will ever go much below that. I have no training for Nitrox, but may want to go there one day.

The only gear I currently own is a mask and snorkel. I don't plan on getting other gear in the near future. I am looking for a computer primarily to use on vacations, where I will be using rental equipment. I like to travel light, and have no plans to buy my own regulator and BCD.

It is possible that I will start to dive with a buddy in Northern California, but right now that is just a possibility, not a likelihood. (And if I do, my next purchase will probably be a full wetsuit, hood, booties, and gloves).

I very much doubt that I will get into tec diving, but if I do, I have no qualms about buying another computer and using the initial purchase as a backup.

I would only buy a new computer with a warranty.

With that as background, here is what I am looking for in a computer:

1. Wrist mount.
2. Big, easy-to-read display (good back-lighting would be a plus).
3. Intuitive user-interface with little chance of misinterpreting what the computer is saying and with easy button
navigation through displays.
4. Nitrox ability (but this is the least important consideration).
5. Audible alarms (user-adjustable as to whether they sound and under what conditions).
6. Street price: $500 or less.

Here is what I don't want or need:

1. Air integration.
2. Tri-mix or ability to switch gases during a dive.
3. Compass.
4. Fresh-water setting.
5. Altitude setting.
6. User-replaceable battery.

I am inclined to a computer alogrithm that is conservative, but if liberal, I would like the ability to add a conservative factor.

I am happy to record the dive data manually if it is readily accessible.

Any suggestions as to other features a diver like me should be considering?

Anyone have experience with a model that has what I am looking for?

Looking at a recent review by ScubaLab,the Cressi Leonardo seems to be a good candidate. Anyone have experience with this model?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

I second that for the Suunto Zoop

I have looked at getting a wrist mounted computer for last wee while, with a lot of the same features you need and don't need. Basically from what I've found is that the Suunto Zoop seems to be the one.

I go for Suunto Zoop as well, it has most of the features you mention and the prize is well under $500, Both my GF and me use Suunto she has the Zoop, me the Gekko and we are overly happy with them.

+5 Suunto Zoop

I have a Gekko, and have never had any problems with it.

If you are REALLY into a backlit model, this isn't the one for you ... but it does glow in the dark with a little shine from your torch.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a dive planning function on my computer. If this interests you, and you really gotta have that backlight, get the Vyper.
Suunto Vyper | Suunto

Definitely Suunto. Great computer, very user friendly!!

JohnnyO
------------
"What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

Also, I've had my gecko for 6 years and only had to change the battery once

with 1000+ dives on it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom