Help me to make a guide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lampy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am ignoring the 'Has this been asked before?' button in pursuit of a guide, not just a jumble of reviews, opinions and different circumstances.

Unfortunately I am nowhere nearly experienced enough to write this guide myself, and that is where you come in.

After this post gets all the answers I am looking for I will compile it into a user friendly guide on the forum (if all goes to plan!)

Main fins I would like to look at:

SP Jets
SP Twin Jets
Mares Avanti Quattros
Mares Quattro Excel
Mares Raptor
Force Fins
Aqualung Slingshot

Opinions regarding Split vs. non-Split - Power vs. Weight - Force vs. everything and of course - does size matter? oh, and price vs. quality

Also I would like to consider environments e.g. - are split fins better in wrecks? which fins don't stir up the bottom? do slingshots do well in current?

So here is your part; the response.

If you own one of the above fins would you please include with your comments a rating out of 10 for each of the following factors:

Durability and Value for $$$ /10
Comfort and ease of use /10
Effort and Power ratio /10
Ability to perform a variety of kicks /10
General Score /10

Feel free to copy & paste this scoresheet and fill it in, (adding which fin you are rating of course).

Thank-you in advance for your time and effort,

Michael

After 2 weeks I will be totaling up the scores and will post the results.

Also you may choose to note if you like the colour (is it easy to see).

SP Jets

Durability and Value for $$$ /10
Comfort and ease of use /10
Effort and Power ratio /10
Ability to perform a variety of kicks /10
General Score /10

Fins preference is very subjective. I love my Jets!!!

Jets are big and clunky :popcorn:

I am ignoring the 'Has this been asked before?' button in pursuit of a guide, not just a jumble of reviews, opinions and different circumstances.

Unfortunately I am nowhere nearly experienced enough to write this guide myself, and that is where you come in.

After this post gets all the answers I am looking for I will compile it into a user friendly guide on the forum (if all goes to plan!)

Main fins I would like to look at:

SP Jets
SP Twin Jets
Mares Avanti Quattros
Mares Quattro Excel
Mares Raptor
Force Fins
Aqualung Slingshot

Opinions regarding Split vs. non-Split - Power vs. Weight - Force vs. everything and of course - does size matter? oh, and price vs. quality

If you want this to be "meaningful", it should include Freedive fins, specifically one of the decent brands of them....to make this easily available, a choice like Cressi 300 LD ( soft easy to kick) or the Cressi Gara 2000 HF if you want a slightly faster/harder to kick high rpm, fin. Or, better still, the new Gara Proffessional for fit divers with a little more cash to spend :)

With freedive fins, you kick differently than you do with ALL OF THE FINS you have mentioned so far....With freedive fins, you use a slow kick, with a fairly staight knee--it comes from the hip. Kick turnover (cadence/rpm) is much slower with freedivng fins, and this slows breathig rate, even though the speed you reach is typically much higher with a freedivng fin for a given heartrate/breathing rate than for the typical traditional fin selections....splits whould be discarded as trash, unless the person has a leg injury preventing the person from using a fin with much "push" per kick.

Regards,
Dan Volker

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom