Help me write a letter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a stern letter with some good knowledge can get the point across and change his attitude towards it and prevent it in the future......how is that any worse than ruining his career by just stating it outright to the agency?

That's appalling behaviour! Not only endangering the divers during that dive, but also changing their views on risks, value of training and warnings.
You may very well send a letter, but I don't think it will have any effect. He has been told as a diver that there are limits and why the limits are there for. He has been told as an instructor that there are limits and why the limits are there for. And I'm not even talking about standards. He chose to ignore it all.

Jim, I'm not sure if you remember me....but I called you a while back about PADI Full Cave distinctive specialty and we got on the topic of some very heinous standards violations by an instructor who is still a PADI MSDT and Tech Instructor, but is also now an NSS-CDS and NACD Full Cave instructor.

I do recall the conversation & he is not an NSS-CDS Full cave instructor

For one, I doubt anything you say to this mystery instructor will have an impact.

numero dos, it doesn't set an example other than one of tolerance till some person says something.

tres, it doesn't inform the agency that there is a serious deficiency in their ranks. Who signed off on this instructor? What ELSE is going on?

I do recall the conversation & he is not an NSS-CDS Full cave instructor

Huh. I believe you. He told me otherwise. Either way, the violations have gotten worse and I'm at the verge of reporting him.

As far as the Vortex incident goes, I believe he's not an Instructor yet....but a DM, however I'm fairly sure the Instructor has condoned/taught/ordered this to be done.

If they are clowns then they need to be outed as such. Post up the information and let the dominoes fall.

If someone wants to be an @$$hat on their own it bothers me, but not to the level that this does. If you are a dive professional and do that to some unknowing students, you should forefit your certs immediately. That's like a flight instructor teaching his students to "buzz" their house while IFR. It's just plain stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the verge of reporting him?

Are you willing to allow someone to die while you are there "on the verge"?

Out this guy and possibly save a life or lives.

While the agency is investigating your report he takes someone else in. They panic. He is in no position to help. They die.

Is it worth keeping this information hidden?

When you have video proof?

Witness statements?

Personally I could not risk the mental anguish, guilt, and remorse I know I would feel. Regardless if I was on scene or not when it happened because I might have been able to prevent it with a few typed words and a phone call or two.

I can't say that I have ever been so disturbed by someone's diving or teaching style I have felt inclined to "take them out" or go to Scubaboard to get on advice on how to write a letter. Situations that bother me, I would start by talking with them. Then go from there, depending on their response. But that's just me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom