Help on set up first side mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

babycover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I have alwasy want to do sidemount and I just bought an APEKS WSX 25.
I mainly dive 2 Faber steel tank with drysuit.

I have manage to set up regulators (84" hose for long hose) and short hoses with SPG. (still open for suggestion )
however i could not find any thing for guidance to set up the Apeks wing and harness. How to set up bungee, where do you tie it up, where to clip the tank, etc

Could I please have some help and pictures ?

Thank you

1. Size the spine strap between the shoulder and lumbar plates. The shoulder plate should lie just beneath the C7 vertebrae (the 'bulging' bone at the bottom of the neck) and the lumbar plate should be at the lower lumbar area (L5)... the flat part of the spine just above the 'crack' of the buttocks.

2. The location of the lumbar plate should place the 'waist' belt low on the hips. The waist belt shouldn't be pulled downwards at the front - it should be horizontal

3. Adjust the shoulder straps to fit. If too short, they'll pull the spine strap slack and raise the lumbar plate.

4. Adjust the crotch strap so that it's very snug. Don't lean forwards when you adjust the crotch strap, as this'll lead you to set it too loose. You need to arch backwards a little when sizing it to get the right fit.

5. Loop bungees (work well with the Apeks) should run horizontal just underneath the armpits. They shouldn't curve down under the armpits. They should be sized for significant tension when pulled to the nipples, and at maximum extension when pulled together to the sternum.

6. Shoulder D-rings should be located immediately under the collar bones. For this reason, you'll need to attach the loop bungees on a separate triglide or floating loop (lower down).

7. If using steel cylinders, you'll only need one set of waist D-rings. You need two sets for aluminum. Set these slightly up from the mid-torso. You'll need to adjust these after in-water testing, so that the cylinders fall down to the correct trim position. It depends a little on your waist measurement... so it's hard to give specific measurements.

Take some photos with the rig on and we can fine-tune it from there...

Thank you so much for detailing.
I got the trouble with the loop bungees, how do you attached it to the harness? where?
with the wing, is it tie off to the waste belt?

Ideally, loop bungees need to be placed so that they run horizontal back to front. If the shoulder plate is too high, you can use some triglides... or Andrew Goring at SumpUK makes some good standalone bungee plates.

Highly recommend you go to www.sidemounting.com and get the SM class. Well worth the small (relative) cost. It really enhanced my transition from BM to SM

My first try - after just reading SB forums. Using HP Steel 80s.
HP80s off McAbee - 1st try.jpg

After finishing Steve Martin's online class, using LP steel 72s. About 10 SM dives after picture above.
sm 10.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, sound good, i did came across the website but could not find anyone have done it to get some feedback. Is the course also walk you through how to set up the rigs? how and where to tie the bungees on the wing.
I know Andy did say the answer above but it a bit hard for me as a beginner to follow what he said without a bit more details.

Hi, sound good, i did came across the website but could not find anyone have done it to get some feedback. Is the course also walk you through how to set up the rigs? how and where to tie the bungees on the wing.
I know Andy did say the answer above but it a bit hard for me as a beginner to follow what he said without a bit more details.

The SM course covers everything from set-up to skills. It is a video version of a very complete and well done SM course. Having someone video you in the water is very helpful. I got more out the Steve's video course than the last 3 in-water (divemaster, rescue repeat, and Tec40) courses combined. Some of the best money I've spent on diving. All his courses combined was about $180 IIRC.

This picture might help.
I believe it is under the upper plate and they used a tri-glide.
photo1.jpeg

It's pretty comprehensive, however it is demo'd on a Stealth (except if he made a new version).
Info from the stealth should transpose fairly well to a rig such as the apeks, but it's not gonna be a 1-1 match, so you will have to think a bit about what he says (the general principles are the same though), and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

First time I went through those videos and got my rig ready took me somewhere around 10 hours I'd say. It was pretty decent from the start however, and it was my first ever sidemount diving (and had only done my OW dives).

I'd say it's worth having a look, even about regs and tanks you might learn a trick or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom