Help on where to dive and stay for Cozumel first timer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBackpacker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi ! I've been reading through the Cozumel threads on where to dive and stay but would still appreciate some suggestions from veterans.
I'll be staying for up to a month, so I'll want 10-dive packages at a time and maybe want to try more than one operation. Also may take a course or two. 50-60 minutes a dive is okay with me(I get cold easy!), and mostly two dives a day is fine. Since I'm semi-retired, a shop that local or regional expats frequent would be great. And of course a professional, safe operation.
I'd like to stay within a 15 or 20 minute walk of the dive operation/boat and avoid renting a car or having to take a taxi. I'm not much of a pool or beach person , so don't have to have either of those.
Any suggestions along these lines would be much appreciated !!!

If you don't want to rent a car or take a taxi, you are limited to those that do in town pick-up or transport you to the harbour. Which means staying in town. Lots of choices there especially if you don't care about beaches or pools! When are you going to be in Coz? I'd look into B&Bs in town or maybe Villa Las Anclas. Some place small where you can get to know others staying there (and go do things with them.)

Stay here: Suites Colonial Cozumel
Dive here: Blue XT~Sea Diving - Cozumel Scuba Diving - Blue Xt Sea Diving

Hotel is right downtown and walking distance to everything. Comes with killer buffet breakfast at sister hotel Casa Mexicana a block away. Blue XT Sea picks up from a downtown pier directly in front of your breakfast at Casa Mexicana. Christi (Owner of Blue XT Sea) will hook you up with a deal for as much diving as you will be doing. If you really want to try a second dive operator, then you could alternate with Aldora, which also leaves from the same pier. ALDORA DIVERS
You can contact Christi directly here or via her website: @Christi

Last edited:
Tres Pelicanos provides transportation to/from the Marina. If you contact Jeanie at dive@trespelicanos.com she can also give you a lot of lodging information. For that long of a stay a B&B or monthly rental in the downtown area might be the way to go.

If you don't want to rent a car or take a taxi, you are limited to those that do in town pick-up or transport you to the harbour. Which means staying in town. Lots of choices there especially if you don't care about beaches or pools! When are you going to be in Coz? I'd look into B&Bs in town or maybe Villa Las Anclas. Some place small where you can get to know others staying there (and go do things with them.)
Thanks for the reply. I'll be there the last week of June and July. It seems like the in-town B&B's would be a possible choice or
Villa Las Anclas. I'd rather not dive(no cattle boats, I hope) or stay with the day-trippers or overnighters, if possible. I did a lot of dive trips to the Caribbean from approximately 1975- 1995, but am just now picking it up again.

Stay here: Suites Colonial Cozumel
Dive here: Blue XT~Sea Diving - Cozumel Scuba Diving - Blue Xt Sea Diving

Hotel is right downtown and walking distance to everything. Comes with killer buffet breakfast at sister hotel Casa Mexicana a block away. Blue XT Sea picks up from a downtown pier directly in front of your breakfast at Casa Mexicana. Christi (Owner of Blue XT Sea) will hook you up with a deal for as much diving as you will be doing. If you really want to try a second dive operator, then you could alternate with Aldora, which also leaves from the same pier. ALDORA DIVERS
Your suggestions look great. I like the idea of a substantial breakfast with the lodging as normally I skip lunch. I don't have to try more than one operator -- last year I spent a month on Utila and dove with the same people the whole time. But since I've got more time than most folks , I might dive with different folks or stay in varied places since it's my first trip to Cozumel. My wife, who is a less experienced diver, and my son who is just learning, may also show up later in July.

Tres Pelicanos provides transportation to/from the Marina. If you contact Jeanie at dive@trespelicanos.com she can also give you a lot of lodging information. For that long of a stay a B&B or monthly rental in the downtown area might be the way to go.
Thanks for the suggestion.Ya'll have convinced me to stay in the downtown area. Since we are from central Florida , and there are plenty of beaches/pools around here, they probably aren't as important to me as to a lot of folks.

I dive with 2 of the 3 mentioned (Aldora uses big tanks & my wife wouldn't like me gone all day). All 3 are as good as it gets, but there are others in their league too but they may not be as convenient to get to.

I hesitant to make suggestions based only on my limited Cozumel experiences but given your additional info this may meet your needs.

We stay in town at Villa Escondida B&B. It is a detached four room unit with common lounge area and pool. Wonderful in town location convienent to multiple dive shops, restaurants, the pier for pick up (depending on which dive op you choose) and the ferry to the mainland. There is a fridge and microwave in the common area and a tv that is rarely used. The courtyard is very private with plenty of lounge chairs. The is however no convienent sitting area in your room and no room tv or phone. Magda cooks a wonderful authentic Mexican breakfast except for days she makes her fluffy pancakes!

Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast is located right in downtown Cozumel, and it is ideal for travelers who want local attractions at their doorsteps: great dining, the main pier, the central park, local shops and more are all at a short walk from this charming villa. A delicious, complete breakfast consisting of fresh brewed mexican coffee, selection of teas, fresh orange juice, pastries or homemade baking, hot main dish /mexican dishes are our specialty!) and fresh fruit and yogurt is served in the terrace every morning.

And for more of a personal feel and cost consideration consider 3 P's. Multiday dive discounts, lots of local/repeat divers on board and the shop is just a few blocks from the B&B. Divers can meet at the shop and they arrange transportation to and from the marina.

Last edited:
Since you are staying a month, I wouldn't be surprised if you could negotiate some kind of discount beyond what the ops show on their website. Might start out with a 10 dive package. Then both you and the op can decide if you want to want to extend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom