Help with battery replacement!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Oceanic Veo 180NX. I have gotten the retaining ring out. (By the way, the plastic this stuff is made out of is crap. I broke off the tab using the screwdriver method described in the manual. Some things were just meant to be made out of good stainless steel or Monel.)

I am now faced with a clear battery hatch. It does not seem to come off in any way, and I am reluctant to start prying around after seeing what happens to this plastic. The manual is not very helpful, only describing this step as "Remove battery hatch."

How do I get this dang thing off here???

Nevermind. It was just suctioned onto the face pretty strongly. I guess it's a lot colder where I am than where it was originally sealed up? At least I know my O-ring is still good!

Crazy Fingers, we are having the same problem with our veo 180. Do you remember what you did to remove the clear cover (hatch) We actually changed a battery in oceanice veo 18 a0nd problems removing the clear plastic battery cover. I seem to remember it was just stuck, but I cant remember what we did.

I dont think there is anything holding it but the fact that the o-ring is tight. I really dont want to take a screw driver and pry.....any other suggestions?

Thanks

Okay, we finaly got it the off. We were trying to remove the black housing under the dome. But all you have to do is pop off the clear plastic dome by gently prying the dome off with a large needle like tool.

We didnt realze that the dome was just a dome. We thought the dome had a housing underneath it. To get to the battery you dont have to remove the plastic housing .......just the dome which is on top of the ring. We were trying to make it harder than it was. Just use a very small awl (like a large embrodiery needle) and gently pry and pop the dome off. ....where the clear dome meets the black housing.

I just had this same problem with my VT4.0 last week down in Cozumel. The owners manual should make if very clear that the clear plastic window has a very thin edge and sits on top of the black plastic battery compartment. My 55 year old eyes just could not see it. I finally, by accident, slipped my fingernail under the edge of that clear plastic window... and it just popped off. Talk about frustrating. I messed up the black plastic a bit trying to lever it out with a small screwdriver because I was trying to lift it off by prying up on the bottom of the black plastic column supporting that clear plastic cap.

Yeah there is a lot of suction on the cap, only use your finger nail. Your Veo 180 should of come with a tool to remove the cap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom