Help with buying my first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindysoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, hope you can help me as I am completely new to this. I've tried to read through some of the posts on here but there are just so many threads that I'm starting to get confused.

I dive only warm water and will probably dive only warm water. Maybe will try diving in Canada (BC) next year. I currently live in HK but will move back to Canada in the new year 2011. I'm a recreational diver only -- about 40 dives under my belt.

I will do a liveaboard to Komodo in less than 2 weeks so would like to get a regulator before then :)

I've always rented and hated the rental regulators because:
1) mouthpiece is too large and hurts mouth
2) tube on some rentals tilt the mouth part which is very uncomfortable

Looking for:
1) a Ladies regulator (if there is such a thing)
2) balanced is better (I hear.. why I have no idea!)
3) a smooth easy breath
4) will dive (forgive the pun) into underwater photography and video photography soon so I have heard that a regulator that produces less bubbles (?) is optimum?
5) durable that will last forever (I don't want to have to buy a new regulator unless I decided to do Tech diving or something much more advanced). Would mid to advanced level regulator be good?

I hope you can help...

Thank you!

P.S.
I'm a 167cm Asian lady weighing 118 pounds, so don't want to carry anything that's too cumbersome / heavy. I have a 3-2-2 Mares Trilastic, 5-4 Scubapro Everflex, and of course fins (just to give you an idea of my gear if that helps with background at all)

What brands of regulator can be serviced where you live now and where you'll be living next year? Try to find a competent reg tech wherever you are, since reg performance relies heavily on the skill of the tech who tunes and services the reg.

Here's some info for ya:
  • Since you'll be moving back to Canada, make sure that the reg is rated for "cold" water diving. This generally means that the first stage will be environmentally sealed and the second stages will have heat exchangers + other gizmos to prevent freeflows.
  • There isn't really a reg designed specifically for women. However, some manufacturers are now painting the second stage with a little pink to market the product to the female demographic. Some women make the mistake of thinking that a small second stage will lead to less jaw fatigue. They don't realize that even large second stages can be neutrally buoyant. Don't eliminate a reg just because it looks big. Choose a mouthpiece that fits your mouth. Some people rave about the Seacure mouthpiece. I favor the Apeks/Aqualung Comfo-bite.
  • It is possible to change out the mouthpiece on a rental reg with your very own (Seacure, Comfo-bite, etc.). Attachment is as easy as cinching up a ziptie. Just remember to re-install the rental mouthpiece after your dive(s).
  • When tuned and serviced properly, most modern regs will give a smooth, easy breath.
  • For underwater photography, the exhaust tee on the second stage needs to deflect bubbles properly so that the bubbles don't obscure the diver's view. The only way you can find out if the reg does this...is to test it out underwater. Some dive shops will allow customers to demo gear in the pool before buying it.

My recommendations:
- Aqualung Legend
- Apeks XTX50 (has diver-changeable second stage exhaust tees)
- Scubapro MK17/G250V

If these are too expensive, then look into the Aqualung Titan LX Supreme.

Hey all, hope you can help me as I am completely new to this. I've tried to read through some of the posts on here but there are just so many threads that I'm starting to get confused.

I dive only warm water and will probably dive only warm water. Maybe will try diving in Canada (BC) next year. I currently live in HK but will move back to Canada in the new year 2011. I'm a recreational diver only -- about 40 dives under my belt.

I will do a liveaboard to Komodo in less than 2 weeks so would like to get a regulator before then :)

I've always rented and hated the rental regulators because:
1) mouthpiece is too large and hurts mouth
2) tube on some rentals tilt the mouth part which is very uncomfortable

Looking for:
1) a Ladies regulator (if there is such a thing)
2) balanced is better (I hear.. why I have no idea!)
3) a smooth easy breath
4) will dive (forgive the pun) into underwater photography and video photography soon so I have heard that a regulator that produces less bubbles (?) is optimum?
5) durable that will last forever (I don't want to have to buy a new regulator unless I decided to do Tech diving or something much more advanced). Would mid to advanced level regulator be good?

I hope you can help...

Thank you!

P.S.
I'm a 167cm Asian lady weighing 118 pounds, so don't want to carry anything that's too cumbersome / heavy. I have a 3-2-2 Mares Trilastic, 5-4 Scubapro Everflex, and of course fins (just to give you an idea of my gear if that helps with background at all)

First off what regs have you used that you didn't like. Saying you don't like a on reg b, c on reg d etc. What's uncomfortable for you may not be for me.

The lightest apeks 1st stage I have is the DS4 and I think the scubapro MK17 is pretty light too.

The only regs that I think would fit your profile would be:

1. Apeks DS4/XTX50/XTX50
2. Scubapro mk17/g250v/g250v

Both are sealed n are pretty light compared to others I have like the Legend LX which is the heaviest reg I think.

As for the mouth piece hurting, you could get a seacure or a smaller mouth piece.

SangP

It is the weight of the second stage, that would cause jaw fatigue, the first stage tends to be pretty well secure to the tank which is kept in place by your BCD. Something that can have some influence is the rubber hose perhaps pulling on the second stage. I don't use a fabric wrapped hose like a myflex hose, but I hear they can make holding a reg in your mouth more comfortable.

As far as cold and diving in and around BC, I have a few hundred dives here with a non sealed 1st stage and it really is not cold enough to be an issue for that. It is Scubapro's MK25 and the standard it is manafuctured to meet plus the testing the US Navy did put it well beyond the kind of tempertures I dive year round here. I wouldn't choose to dive it under the ice, fresh or salt water, and I do have to be aware of using it when air tempertures are below freezing here, but otherwise it is very good. It is also a very popular choice for many divers here. Temperture range is low 40's to mid 50's F.

Buy a longer tube and route it under your arm with a swivel attached to the second stage whilst chomping on a generic cumfo bite.

Make click between breathing out and breathing in.

Hi again,
Thanks for the great advice.
Will buy a replacement mouthpiece and try that out first on my trip. A full regulator set is pretty pricey, even here in HK, so I think I will hold off on this purchase (especially since I'm now out of a job!), and pay more attention to the setups of the rentals to see what works and what doesn't for me.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom