help with my brand new Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, Alec's shop is my LDS. I walked into it early this summer and realized he wasn't around and things were "different" (not in a bad way, just different). Googled it and found out he retired and sold it earlier this year.
Well, that is good for him. I hope he is enjoying his time off.

lube on the threads is not abnormal. I don't do it, but there is LOTS of lube that goes inside of the regulator anyway *both stages* and whatever you put on the threads will be pushed towards the o-rings and not get into your regulator.

The thing about the different ports may be related to the fact that the second stage hose is shipped attached to the bottom port. It is because it fits in the box better and is normally moved to one of the radial ports on assembly.

If you buy a reg from a shop, they should put it on a magnahelic to verify that it is tuned properly from the factory, which sadly is not always the case with all manufacturers. You should be able to easily tell the difference between when the external adjustment screw is in or out.

However, sounds like you have two issues, positioning and depth. Depth alone might indicate another problem.

One of the documented issues with atomic first stages is associated with the environmental sealing with cristolube. If the regulator was environmentally sealed with cristolube and that was removed, but the solid rubber ring is still in place, it will not function properly at greater depths. If the cristolube is still in there, you should have a solid rubber ring. If it was removed or was never there to begin with, it should have the rubber ring with the holes.

So, if there is no cristolube, but a solid ring, you may have a problem. This happens when the customer does not want to pay the extra amount to have a serviced regulator resealed with cristolube, but the technician does not exchange the solid ring for a ring with holes.

This prevents the piston from getting assisted by the ambient water pressure. My understanding is that this is most notable in colder water.

This would not be affected by a horizontal versus vertical position, so not saying that is your issue, but are you sure it was brand new and not a return or demo?

Last edited:
Yes, I can show you how to adjust it, but it is something the shop should do for you. Just go in and tell them what the problem is. You should have no problems breathing easily from a reg like that, and they should be adjusting it for you.

The thing about the different ports may be related to the fact that the second stage hose is shipped attached to the bottom port. It is because it fits in the box better and is normally moved to one of the radial ports on assembly.

If you buy a reg from a shop, they should put it on a magnahelic to verify that it is tuned properly from the factory, which sadly is not always the case with all manufacturers. You should be able to easily tell the difference between when the external adjustment screw is in or out.

However, sounds like you have two issues, positioning and depth. Depth alone might indicate another problem.

One of the documented issues with atomic first stages is associated with the environmental sealing with cristolube. If the regulator was environmentally sealed with cristolube and that was removed, but the solid rubber ring is still in place, it will not function properly at greater depths. If the cristolube is still in there, you should have a solid rubber ring. If it was removed or was never there to begin with, it should have the rubber ring with the holes.

So, if there is no cristolube, but a solid ring, you may have a problem. This happens when the customer does not want to pay the extra amount to have a serviced regulator resealed with cristolube, but the technician does not exchange the solid ring for a ring with holes.

This prevents the piston from getting assisted by the ambient water pressure. My understanding is that this is most notable in colder water.

This would not be affected by a horizontal versus vertical position, so not saying that is your issue, but are you sure it was brand new and not a return or demo?

I have the unsealed version.
I was advised by my LDS here at home when i inquired about a B2 to not buy the sealed version because it was $$ to maintain and not needed for the diving i was planning on doing. I had called them and asked about the B2 even before being certified. I later bought it after being certified and knowing that i enjoyed the sport but was still on vacation in Key Largo so it was not purchased through my LDS but a LDS in Key Largo.
I forget exactly what he said but something about that cristolube stuff being very expensive and not worth it for recreational diving in warm water which is all we will be doing.

On it being new,
Yes i believe it was new. I watched them take it out of a sealed box and i watched them assemble it. I specifically did this because it was a really good price and was making sure i was not getting screwed over so i watched them intently so see where it came from. I watched them assemble it, install hose protectors and so on. I tested it at the shop after they installed everything and i was very obviously the first person to put their mouth on it. Still tasted like brand new rubber and smelt like brand new plastic.
So i 100% believe it was new and legit. And as i previously said, i called atomic to verify the authenticity of the dealer. and was told they were a legit and authorized atomic dealer.

When i say i tested it at the shop i guess it wasnt really a test. I stuck the thing in my mouth and breathed a few times on both the B2 and Z2 to see it was working, or at least working as good as any reg works out of water.

Yes, I can show you how to adjust it, but it is something the shop should do for you. Just go in and tell them what the problem is. You should have no problems breathing easily from a reg like that, and they should be adjusting it for you.

Problem is, i bought it out of state and now home in Denver. So im sure this will cost me some $$ to have it done in Denver now defeating the "good price" i got in key largo.
Pretty disappointing to say the least.

Problem is, i bought it out of state and now home in Denver. So im sure this will cost me some $$ to have it done in Denver now defeating the "good price" i got in key largo.
Pretty disappointing to say the least.
If you are hoping to establish a relationship with a shop in the DEnver area, once that will service your regulator in the future, go there and see how they handle things. Back when I bought my first equipment, I bought a regulator on eBay. I went to a dive shop, bought an alternate, and asked them to assemble it. I felt guilty as Hell asking them to do free work on something that I bought somewhere else. They did it cheerfully, and they turned me instantly into a loyal customer. If they had given me crap about it, they would have never seen me again.

If you are hoping to establish a relationship with a shop in the DEnver area, once that will service your regulator in the future, go there and see how they handle things. Back when I bought my first equipment, I bought a regulator on eBay. I went to a dive shop, bought an alternate, and asked them to assemble it. I felt guilty as Hell asking them to do free work on something that I bought somewhere else. They did it cheerfully, and they turned me instantly into a loyal customer. If they had given me crap about it, they would have never seen me again.

Well, I just got the later of the two expereinces
I called the LDS that is owned by someone i know and was basically laughed off the phone and told
"this is what i get for buying something out of state" and he would be happy to look at it for $70 and it would take 2 weeks.

Guess what shop i will never be going to again? i guess he will be missing out on the $3k i will probably be spending on my wifes gear.

Pretty much standard operating procedure for me. Try and get a good deal on something and get screwed in the process.
Honestly, i have yet to find a dive shop that is any better then a used car dealer. Getting any information from them that is reasonably unbiased and not fueled by what they make the most money on is impossible. These shops are really creating a huge turn off for the sport. Its pretty sad
But i have no one to blame but myself apparently

Getting any information from them that is reasonably unbiased and not fueled by what they make the most money on is impossible. These shops are really creating a huge turn off for the sport. Its pretty sad But i have no one to blame but myself apparently

Welcome to the world of scuba. The scuba industry is run on B.S. and diver ignorance. There are some good LDS out there and once you find them you need to support them.

I would try giving Atomic a call. After all you purchased the regulator from an authorized dealer so it should carry a warranty.

Well, I just got the later of the two expereinces
I called the LDS that is owned by someone i know and was basically laughed off the phone and told
"this is what i get for buying something out of state" and he would be happy to look at it for $70 and it would take 2 weeks.

Guess what shop i will never be going to again? i guess he will be missing out on the $3k i will probably be spending on my wifes gear.

Pretty much standard operating procedure for me. Try and get a good deal on something and get screwed in the process.
Honestly, i have yet to find a dive shop that is any better then a used car dealer. Getting any information from them that is reasonably unbiased and not fueled by what they make the most money on is impossible. These shops are really creating a huge turn off for the sport. Its pretty sad
But i have no one to blame but myself apparently

That's a dilemma I face too. Buy at good prices online and risk not getting any local help should something go wrong or buy locally and pay 30-50% more and (maybe) get help if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom