help with my brand new Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have put him in touch with a shop that will take care of him.

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys. Im going to call the shop John recommends and go from there

Have not noticed the 1st stage given its on my back and the 2nd stage does move if you apply a reasonable amount of force but nothing like when its de pressurized.
When no air present it flops around all over nice and smooth. With air it barley moves unless you apply a reasonable amount of force.
It acutally doesn' take that much force to move the 2nd stage swivel when you are breathing the reg but, as you said, it is not "floppy/loose" like when it is unpressurized.

Yea they def did not make any adjustments to it.
I watched them do it and because im a dope and did not know any better didnt say anything
They took it out the box. Asked me if i would like hose protectors and asembled it.

Also, i noticed the tech put a very tiny tiny hair pin drop size of some silicone sealant on the threads. Is this normal practice?
I know on my airplane we would never do such a thing. It was such a small amount i cant see it getting in the reg.
I also just for kicks called Atomic to confirm the place i bought from in Key largo was a true and authorized atomic dealer / tech center. They checked out ok. But no adjustment or testing done when purchased. It was just assembled and handed to me.

I put a small amount of christolube on all my threads, nothing out of the ordinary there. However, they really should have done the minor tuning/adjustments on the 2nd stages and checked the 1st-stage IP at least. Minimum standard practice is then to hook up your new reg to a full scuba tank and let you 'test-breathe' off both 2nd stages to see if they feel pretty good or are 'off' and adjust accordingly. Adjusting the 2nd stage is super easy, using a small flat-head screw driver to slightly turn the orifice that's located at the point where the 2nd-stage LP hose screws into the 2nd-stage, to adjust how easy you want the 2nd-stage to breathe. You want it easy, but not to the point where it free flows or is unstable.

Have not noticed the 1st stage given its on my back and the 2nd stage does move if you apply a reasonable amount of force but nothing like when its de pressurized.
When no air present it flops around all over nice and smooth. With air it barley moves unless you apply a reasonable amount of force.

That sounds normal, pressurizing the system is going to 'firm up' the hose/swivel somewhat, but it should still move about fine and perform it's intended function, I've put the Atomic swivel on TONS of my reg sets (both Atomic and non-Atomic regs) with no problems or concerns.

That was the plan but obviously this guy at this LDS doesn't seem to think im worth his time. My wife will need everything so by the time we get done with a computer regs and BC she will easily be $2500 or so. Apparently he missed that part.
Although after this im not sure ill be buying atomic

Atomic makes excellent regs, I've never had any issues other than on an old one over 10 yrs ago when Atomic had issues with IP creep and they designed a new piston (which I had retrofitted to my oldest unit many years ago) to fix that known issue. I've got (5) T2's, and 2 or 3 M1's (plus many other brand regs like Apeks/Aqualung/Mares/Poseidon) and honestly all my regs have performed just fine over the years. Even my 'cheapo' Aqualung Titan LX's worked like a charm down to 150' in Cozumel. I really enjoy my Atomics, and am bringing one T2/M1 octo set on my upcoming 10/4/17 live aboard trip to Costa Rica, (I just tested it in the pool this afternoon to test out assorted new gear/new 5 mm wet suit/weight checks). It worked perfectly, down to 11-12 ft at least. :)

Thanks for the replies

Right now I'm just sitting tight. The gentleman John coordinated for me is out of the shop for a week so I just have to be patient.

I did order a cool color kit for my B2. I know I know probably a stupid rookie thing but I thought it was cool and I like the bright colors

Thanks for the replies

Right now I'm just sitting tight. The gentleman John coordinated for me is out of the shop for a week so I just have to be patient.

I did order a cool color kit for my B2. I know I know probably a stupid rookie thing but I thought it was cool and I like the bright colors
Nothing wrong with personalizing your gear!

Late to chime in for the OP. The shop in Key Largo probably had an non-technical person in the shop that day who while they knew how to put a reg together did not know much more than that. The other local shop gave you a crap response. You should call both shop out for their lack of customer service. (I had a similar experience not with a dive shop and I ripped them on the phone followed up by on-line reviews). Do not blame yourself for either whilst trying to be a cost conscience shopper.

As to the issue at hand, as others have sounds as though the second stage on the B2 was not tuned quite right. It happens and do not let that you sour on AA regs. If you were to send the regs to AA they would come back in proper working order - the only cost to you would be shipping. I.e. they have good customer service.

As for the hose swivel - once pressurized the swivel does move much. The color kits are nice and fit on any of their regs. As said, they all breath the same - or at least when tuned correct then do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom