Henderson Insta Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldblue:
Interesting post, i'm deciding between hyperstrecth and insta-dry.
Quick question though: the suit dries faster than standard suits, but if you have to get it wet for easier donning, sounds like the "insta-dry" feature of the suit is not very useful.

Looks like the insta-dry suit is warmer than the hyperstretch.
Anyone who has dive both suits: did you find your ease of movement reduced compared to a hyperstretch?

Cheers
I was thinking of baby shampoo in a spray bottle warmed in the sun and applied to the arms and legs. Before donning suit. My cave diver friends use hand lotion on thier hands and wrists before they put on the dry suit, of course the boots are part of the suit. Over the head I have no clue. Hey maybe just buy two suits and swap out??? $$$

I have a 7mm insta-dry rig head to toe. LOVE IT. Yes, as others have noticed, it can be a little tricker than a hyperstretch to put on, but in cold CA waters I'll trade warmth for an extra minute any day. And as noted, it's not truly instantly dry unless you use a towel, but on those multi-dive days on boats, it does dry up pretty quick. WAY faster than other suits.

Two things: (1) It gets easier to put on over time, as the suit molds to your body quite nicely. (2) As someone just mentioned, a spray bottle with a little baby shampoo in water will get you in really quick. I just usually don't bother. (I'm not very hairy, though... if I looked like a yak I might consider something else.)

And as noted, it's not truly instantly dry unless you use a towel, but on those multi-dive days on boats, it does dry up pretty quick. WAY faster than other suits.

Whereas my Aqua Suede would take 24-36 hours to dry completely, I would rinse the insta-dry in fresh water following my boat dives in Curacao, pack it up, drive 20 minutes back to my hotel and don a dry wetsuit for some shore diving; only beads of water to towel off. At that moment, I was confident the suit was money well spent...

I use the Henderson hyperstretch and aquasuede and really switching back and forth to a dry one. I don't notice much difference in the aquasued and the hyperstretch. They do compress to less than they are.

Coldblue:
Interesting post, i'm deciding between hyperstrecth and insta-dry.
Quick question though: the suit dries faster than standard suits, but if you have to get it wet for easier donning, sounds like the "insta-dry" feature of the suit is not very useful.
(a) you don't HAVE to get it wet to put it on. It just makes it easier if you do. Personally, I don't. But I'm no yeti... it I was, I might feel otherwise.
(b) you're going to have to take our word for it that there is a big difference between a couple spritzes with a squirt bottle and a cold, wet wetsuit on a subsequent dive.

CompuDude:
(a) you don't HAVE to get it wet to put it on. It just makes it easier if you do. Personally, I don't. But I'm no yeti... it I was, I might feel otherwise.
(b) you're going to have to take our word for it that there is a big difference between a couple spritzes with a squirt bottle and a cold, wet wetsuit on a subsequent dive.

I'll take your word for it, and i definitively understand the difference. However, i think the critical issue here is "hair" above the actual properties of the fabric.

Thanks for all the input, water temps where i dive mostly are on the warm side and i am an advocate of layering. I think the hyperstretch will cut it for me, if it gets cold, adding a hooded vest would work just fine.

Cheers

Our LDS had Instadry's in stock. Had a hard time moving them. After 3 of his best customers (all men) tried them at his request and came back complaining they were the perfect depillatory, he returned his remaining stock. He sells golds and hyperstretch like crazy. Reading the other comments, it certainly sounds like there is a learning curve with the instadry suits.

Greg

gadams:
Our LDS had Instadry's in stock. Had a hard time moving them. After 3 of his best customers (all men) tried them at his request and came back complaining they were the perfect depillatory, he returned his remaining stock. He sells golds and hyperstretch like crazy. Reading the other comments, it certainly sounds like there is a learning curve with the instadry suits.
Learning curve is a bit of a stretch. It's just a wetsuit. But I guess it would not be my first choice if I was a hairy guy. If you're that hairy, just wax, people... the girls like it better anyway! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom