Here is a hi res download of DIR III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dan for posting this. I have had the audio for a long time, but not the video.
Good stuff.

I get no sound using VLC 0.8.6h, is this using a standard WMV format? Is there another version, possibly H.264?

I get no sound using VLC 0.8.6h, is this using a standard WMV format? Is there another version, possibly H.264?
My expectation is that if you are playing this with windows media player, with a PC, any codec issue is dealt with automatically by the Windows media player downloading what it needs.

I encoded using a fairly standard, high bit rate choice with the windows media encoder.....

The windows media site also has a download of all the codecs.....

Let me know what happens.

Dan

Nope, this is with VLC, running -- in this case -- under Mac OS X (Leopard). VLC works with really any standard codecs. This is the first non-DRM'ed WMV (out of dozens) that VLC wouldn't play. And its just the sound that's the problem, the video is fine. Strange. For the record, VLC is a cross platform media player. I'm at home and don't have a Linux box handy to test this against (...paging Lamont, Lamont please pick up the white courtesy phone...:D) I'll dig out my Windows laptop from work to see if the downloaded file works on that. Back in a bit...

OK, a google search turns up that you have something proprietary in the audio stream of that WMV file, so VLC support seems like a lost cause...

Downloading the free Flip4Mac player (from the evil empire :eyebrow:) will at least solve the problem for some Mac users (that would be the ones that haven't blocked microsoft.com :rofl3:). So I can at least watch this at home. Linux users, you guys are on your own...

Dan, in the near future (if you have no objections) I may try to see if I can't get this transcoded into a more neutral video/audio format like H.264 or at least something more Mac friendly like QuickTime.

Nope, this is with VLC, running -- in this case -- under Mac OS X (Leopard). VLC works with really any standard codecs. This is the first non-DRM'ed WMV (out of dozens) that VLC wouldn't play. And its just the sound that's the problem, the video is fine. Strange. For the record, VLC is a cross platform media player. I'm at home and don't have a Linux box handy to test this against (...paging Lamont, Lamont please pick up the white courtesy phone...:D) I'll dig out my Windows laptop from work to see if the downloaded file works on that. Back in a bit...

OK, a google search turns up that you have something proprietary in the audio stream of that WMV file, so VLC support seems like a lost cause...

Downloading the free Flip4Mac player (from the evil empire :eyebrow:) will at least solve the problem for some Mac users (that would be the ones that haven't blocked microsoft.com :rofl3:). So I can at least watch this at home. Linux users, you guys are on your own...

Dan, in the near future (if you have no objections) I may try to see if I can't get this transcoded into a more neutral video/audio format like H.264 or at least something more Mac friendly like QuickTime.

Works fine for me on VLC 0.8.6d running on Windows XP. I have one of the free codec packs installed; K-Lite Codec Pack 3.9.5 (Full), but I'm not sure if it affects VLC... (I guess I should update the versions)

I just spent 2 hours, installed Totem-Xine, gstreamer-plugins-ugly, ffmpeg, VLC, mplayer, symlinked /usr/lib/codecs.... no luck on Fedora 7 with WM9 format. So rebooted into XP. :shakehead:

EDIT: Great video but no sound on VLC, known problem.

Works fine for me on VLC 0.8.6d running on Windows XP. I have one of the free codec packs installed; K-Lite Codec Pack 3.9.5 (Full), but I'm not sure if it affects VLC... (I guess I should update the versions)
The codec for that seems to be Windows only (i.e. delivered with WMP). Not a VLC problem per se because the Windows version of VLC can make use of the Microsoft codec. The problem is actually that codec format isn't documented so an alternative isn't going to be easily available. I haven't pulled out ffmpeg at this point, since I can use the free Flip4Mac player on my blackbook its all good. :D

Still, it would be nice to transcode it into a format that anyone could use. IMO as a recreational diver, the info in this video is that useful. Thanks again, Dan!

Last edited:
Great video, thanks. I am doing Cavern/Intro in a few weeks and this just adds to the feeling. :)

Thanks for posting. This video was one of my first introductions to DIR, although back then the hi-res video was 300MB (I still have it, by the way). I also have a low res version of DIR1 and an audio only version of DIR2. Anyone have anything better for those two?

Hi Floater, any chance that you can post those videos up for download so the rest of us can take a look :D

Would be much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom