hero among us

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie, take solace in knowing that the measure of your heroic efforts are in your efforts, not the outcome, for the outcome isn't always a certainty but the effort will always be steadfast.

Robert Lewis Stevenson said "Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others". Thanks for sharing your immense courage. Well done.

Ishie,
I want to congratulate you on your heroic efforts and your instinct to automatically jump in and want to help people. I'm very sorry to hear about the ultimate loss of the child but keep in mind you did all anybody could have done. There are a lot of people that would come upon such a scene and wouldn't know what to do. They would just stand there paralyzed or they'd panic. You knew exactly what to do and you took action. That is the definition of a hero.
I can't even imagine how brutal it must be and the frustration and grief you must be going through.
But just remember, you are a wonderful person with a huge heart, and all of us are supporting you.

ZKY

Ishie, I do not know you or your mother but I want to thank you. Thank you for being the kind of person who will stop and help those who need help. I can only try to imagine the emotions you are experiencing right now and I am truelly sorry. I can only hope that even after these events you would do it again.

Dave P

freediver:
Ishie, take solace in knowing that the measure of your heroic efforts are in your efforts, not the outcome, for the outcome isn't always a certainty but the effort will always be steadfast.

this is so true.

we can't control what will happen. we can only control what we do.

while others might have done nothing, you controlled what you did and stepped up
to help. you did all you could.

the rest, unfortunately, is not up to us. you tried, and did your best, and things
might have turned out differently, but they didn't. but at least there was a chance
for a good outcome.

had you done nothing, there would have been no chance for a good outcome.

you did the best you could. it's all we can do.

PADI Rescue Diver Manual:
You did something wonderful -- you reached out and did the best you could to help another person. That's not failure. It's compasssion.

Well done, Ishie!
:giveusahu

Ishie,
Speaking as a firefighter/paramedic for over 12 years. I can tell you it is not easy some children calls still come to mind and the tragedy of it. You Did your best and you stepped up when many would not that is call of a EMT/ paramedic. So I just want to say JOB well done, and you did the best you could. We cant get down on the ones we can't save but think of those we have made a differents.

Speaking as a family member now. My father passed away yesterday he was very sick. He even had a DNR (do not resisatete) but it was lost at the facility. Fire Rescue was called due to my father was in respiratory arrest. So they intubated. Well this gave him a few more days in pain. I said my good byes and held his hand as he took his last breath. The point I'm trying to say is I was there for him in his last moments. You gave that family the same abilty to say their good byes and have closure.

I hope my openess has helped seek counselling, thru work, professionall or religous. To help you get thru this time.

Uhh... thank you all. This thread is quite a surprise.

I'm actually not feeling guilty. I know I did all I could, but that doesn't make the outcome any easier, particularly since I ended up driving the hysterical family to the (wrong) hospital, complete with the screaming ten year old that feels responsible for the death of her brother. I can't really describe what I am feeling, but it's sort of an irritable depression. I took a long bike ride to try to alleviate it today, only to discover that someone stuck a circus in the middle of the American River Bike Trail, naturally full of children. What city has circuses anymore??

I'm certed as an EMT, but haven't worked as one, thus this is the first time I've done CPR on a real person, and I hate that it was a 3 year old, and I hate that he didn't make it, and I hate that he didn't make it in front of his fully hysterical family members. I initially took over the breathing due to the person there not having CPR training (though doing a damn good job on the instruction of her husband) while her husband (who had minimal training) did compressions until my mother came up (having no knowledge I was there), swapped to the breathing, and I took compressions. All in all, if nothing else, I know that I am surrounded by compassionate and caring neighbors. It took quite a while to direct the fire department to the complex because no one could be heard above the mother, during which time we gathered quite a crowd who, once given simple directions to not stand around crying, quickly moved cars out of the way to allow access by the ambulance, tried to control and console the mother and assorted children, shed clothes to donate to cleaning the child's mouth to preserve his airway, and so forth.

When I did my initial check upon taking over, I felt him breathe for half a second. Through the course of CPR, we got a pulse back no less than 3 times, but quickly lost it again. I'm aware that CPR only has a 30% success rate by itself, but was hoping the efforts of everyone could keep him oxygenated long enough to effectively shock him. When the paramedics got there, they had a very fine vfib close to asystoly, but on the ambulance, I would suspect (since he lived for 48 hours with his own heartbeat), was administered drugs that got him into a shockable rhythm.

This was particularly hard because while, when doing the CPR, I expected him to die, after he made it the first 24 hours at the hospital, I really started to feel like he was going to make it, and after 48, felt he was coming out of the woods. When I found out they lost him, it was devastating, and remains devastating. The family has invited us to the graveside service, which I am profoundly *not* looking forward to.

It was a stupid accident that took place extremely quickly. I think if he'd have fallen into the pool instead of the hot tub, he'd have made it, and it amazed me how fast the events took place, and how calm I was while doing the CPR (and fell apart later, of course). I appreciate all the sentiments, but I don't feel any heroics at all. Initially doing the CPR felt like... I had the skills to perform a task so I performed the task. I did CPR because I know how to do CPR. I set up scuba equipment because I know how to set up scuba equipment. The mindset was that simplistic.

I just really wish the little guy had made it. And I can't stop thinking about his big sister. From what the neighbor's say, she was sort of his "little mother" and charged herself with being responsible for him, despite being 10 years old. Sigh. The news didn't help at all, implying that they had accessed the pool illegally because the lock was drilled, despite the fact that they live in the complex.

Thank you for all your support. I really appreciate it. This is really hard on me. I can't seem to stop thinking about it.

jim ernst:
... i just feel they both (scubaboard members) deserve the recognition.
I wholeheartedly agree. They both took the time required to train for such a situation and quickly responded when the need was there. As a father of 5 and grandfather of 8, I can say that I only hope that I (or someone else nearby) is prepared and quick to respond should I find myself in such a situation.

Ishie:
Uhh... thank you all. This thread is quite a surprise.

... I appreciate all the sentiments, but I don't feel any heroics at all. Initially doing the CPR felt like... I had the skills to perform a task so I performed the task. I did CPR because I know how to do CPR. ... This is really hard on me. I can't seem to stop thinking about it.

I dont imagine many heros feel that they did anything heroic. That is the nature of the situation. Thank for being prepared and willing to 'perform a task' and thank you so much for posting. I encourage you to discuss with other professionals as you deal with this difficult situation. There are people who are prepared to assist with your needs as well.

You should be very proud of yourself and your mom.

Willie

Ishie,
You have all the support from your friends around here. It takes heart and it takes guts. You have both. Glad to have you as a dive buddy anytime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom