Hero3 Black testing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron the embed is showing up now strange, I thought it may have been because I was on the mobile as it showed up on the PC last nite but now its also visible on the mobile. The colours are nice on that video so whatever filter your using is doing quite well. There are more options and I have never liked internal filters too much, especially with the dive housings if you need to unscrew the front lens to get it in and out.

Its completely up to the user to use whatever setup they want, you can use a basic gel sheet and hope to get good results for the cheapest possible outlay and just deal with the negatives of that setup. You can use external filters and choose your own brands and just because some are low quality cheap and nasty it doesn't mean everyone wants that.

Much like you can eat at McDonalds for a couple dollars but that doesn't mean that's all that should be available, and all food standards and pricing should be based of that terrible food. I don't see why some are so negative about anyone that is actually bringing out good quality stuff, wishing every company just made the cheapest and nastiest stuff possible.

If you don't like it fair enough but would you rather they steal the filter design and go generic then offshore the labour to a 3rd world country whilst at the same time getting the quality to the general Chinese junk standard. You can then get your $30 price limit, probably better if they continue to be an ethical company and produce the basic quality products they can and those that appreciate good quality products will at least still have an alternative to the Chinese made junk.

In the end you get what you pay for and URPro are the original inventers of underwater filters, and SRP make some good quality stuff in the US and not mass produced by slave labour in a 3rd world country. Its a shame not too many countries in the west are still making stuff as most just want the cheapest possible product, with no real care about quality or how many people are exploited to get it to you for a few dollars less. I think its quite sad but that's the world we are living in and I gladly support people or companies that don't follow that method.

This topic has gone completely off topic and maybe a mod could seprate these posts unrelated to its own thread? So we can continue on with just discussing the topics title and this can be discussed in another thread.

Totally agree. It is good to have options.

My Gates and Ikelite housings came with UrPro filters. Work great and they are the industry standard.

Any suggestions for settings for underwater video for someone that does not use any programs for correcting? I am totally new to the GoPro. Just purchased the Hero3 Black edition and want the best video I can get without any touch up. I will be diving in Roatan. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

trpplp, HAVE FUN in Roatan, great macro stuff to see there, that's why many of us are working on Macro lenses for the Go Pro.

I used to work at Cocoview on the south shore, where are you staying?

The Hero, and shooting mode, really depends on your end expectations. Are you posting to the web, emailing someone a quick clip, or burning a Blu-ray for home play on a large screen.

Soooooooooo, in a nut shell, you said no post processing and no touch up. While File size is your biggest issue, I'd suggest 1080/60 fps, or 720/120. Protune off.

For your first trip out with the camera, I'd keep it simple.

BUT, that's a big BUTT. I'd practice on land, in your living room, in your back yard, and get to know your camera 2nd nature.

you don't want to learn your brand new camera while at 60 foot deep and the un-ubtainium shark goes swimming by.

Keep it simple but at high resolution underwater, but learn your camera on land first.

two words.............go slow. panning the camera chasing the fish butt, and learn how to drive basic camera power on/off, modes, de-fog packets and such.

If no post processing is what you want, and you have the Hero3, the best thing on the market right now is the SRP clip on filter mount, their "naked" filter mount, and get their blue water filter for your needs of depth and home-water shooting. That's the joy of SRP, they're expandable and can adapt to your shooting needs.

check out www.snakeriverprotoyping.com and see if what they offer for filters meets your requirements. Many options to choose from for the Hero 2, but for the Hero 3 being so new, and you wanting basic shoot and film needs, I'd get a filter, leave the camera on auto, and shoot what-ever meets your file size/resolution needs. Files get BIG on the hero3 real quick. Please do test on land first so you can practice practice and practice.

yes a good diver is always learning. I know I am with my brand new Hero3, and it's an awesome very capable camera, but sometimes, heck, just leave it in automode.

Enjoy Roatan for me.

GoPRO's tech support is very good as well should someone have a problem.
Steve

I'm not so sure about that. I ordered my Hero3 black on Nov 17th. It was supposed to ship on the 26th. No emails, no nothing, on the 8th of Dec. I finally reached a human after spending 5 days trying and over 30 minutes on each call waiting for someone to become free. The first 3 times I called, I got a rep and was hung up on while waiting for them to figure out what happened to my order. Then I started giving my phone number when I reached a rep and the last rep informed me that Gopro shipping times are just estimates. Lots of run-a-round until I said I wanted to cancel the order. Then she said "Oh, that order has been fulfilled", I then got an email that had tracking which is still not active.
This better be a fantastic camera because I'd usually have given up on a company that couldn't keep it's crap together enough to send order information etc. The last rep I did speak too said she's depressed because she fields calls all day from people that are upset with gopro and it's laxidasical (sp)shipping estimates.

Sorry that you had so many problems with their tech support. Problems I have never had. I did post elsewhere that there has been such a big demand for the new model that they are pretty far back logged in terms of shipping orders. This issue will probably be around for awhile until the hubbub dies down a bit.
Steve

I'm not so sure about that. I ordered my Hero3 black on Nov 17th. It was supposed to ship on the 26th. No emails, no nothing, on the 8th of Dec. I finally reached a human after spending 5 days trying and over 30 minutes on each call waiting for someone to become free. The first 3 times I called, I got a rep and was hung up on while waiting for them to figure out what happened to my order. Then I started giving my phone number when I reached a rep and the last rep informed me that Gopro shipping times are just estimates. Lots of run-a-round until I said I wanted to cancel the order. Then she said "Oh, that order has been fulfilled", I then got an email that had tracking which is still not active.
This better be a fantastic camera because I'd usually have given up on a company that couldn't keep it's crap together enough to send order information etc. The last rep I did speak too said she's depressed because she fields calls all day from people that are upset with gopro and it's laxidasical (sp)shipping estimates.

GoPro in the past was always very quick to respond, from the looks of it I think they must be having some manufacturing issues with the black as demand is way ahead of supply. It would be good if they came out and publicly said this if it is the case as if many customers are getting the same treatment as you its not doing them any good.

Looks like the best way to get your hands on one is getting it from a physical retailer if they have any stock, online appears to be so over demanded many are getting stuck in a waiting list. I know local resellers that have been told nearly daily to expect stock for the last few weeks but still waiting on the first black shipments. They really need to step up and say what's causing the delays and when they think orders should be all filled.

I am continuing to run benchmarks on gopro and you know what... it seems rather err... what's the best word to use here...

It almost makes little difference between what settings, what quality, what type of photography I am trying out... Battery life runs out after about 2.6 hours. It seems to do the same thing between video, time lapse etc.

Not that big of a deal per se but it feels rather redundant to have 32gb hdhc card capable of taking well over 4600 pictures and it runs out of juice with battery backpack after about 940-960 photos. I suppose if you have a 2 day dive weekend it will be fine to stick with 1 card but I personally like to travel with an entourage of sd cards at my disposal. With my main camera I limit 1 8gb card per day X number of days. If camera gets flooded or burns out or whatever else might happen to it... I would not lose a week's worth of videos if you know what I mean.

All in all gopro seems to be performing like a champ although I will note that it is not doing too good indoors. With about 60W light bulb it seems to be struggling with the video footage taping it too dark. Outside, however, camera comes alive.

Also I just got gopro app working on both iphone and ipad. Anyone considering buying lcd backpack to frame the shot might want to reconsider in lieu of free app which will let you position your camera just right.

I am continuing to run benchmarks on gopro and you know what... it seems rather err... what's the best word to use here...

It almost makes little difference between what settings, what quality, what type of photography I am trying out... Battery life runs out after about 2.6 hours. It seems to do the same thing between video, time lapse etc.

Not that big of a deal per se but it feels rather redundant to have 32gb hdhc card capable of taking well over 4600 pictures and it runs out of juice with battery backpack after about 940-960 photos. I suppose if you have a 2 day dive weekend it will be fine to stick with 1 card but I personally like to travel with an entourage of sd cards at my disposal. With my main camera I limit 1 8gb card per day X number of days. If camera gets flooded or burns out or whatever else might happen to it... I would not lose a week's worth of videos if you know what I mean.

All in all gopro seems to be performing like a champ although I will note that it is not doing too good indoors. With about 60W light bulb it seems to be struggling with the video footage taping it too dark. Outside, however, camera comes alive.

Also I just got gopro app working on both iphone and ipad. Anyone considering buying lcd backpack to frame the shot might want to reconsider in lieu of free app which will let you position your camera just right.

GoPro's are primarily designed for video and stills have never been its strong point, the 3 black takes the best pics of any gopro to date but there are still many other cameras that will be much better for you if your main intention is still photos.

Larger SD cards are needed in video modes or timelapses and I would suggest if you have a gopro to focus more on its video then stills as that is what its best at.

The App is great but for underwater use the LCD is needed, I cant see me using the LCD on land again as the app does a much better job but underwater the LCD is your only option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom