Hero3 Black testing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, I'm a new owner of a H3, can you explain how you get the slow motion? Is it done while shooting or after when editing the movie?

Thanks

Here some footage from last night with GP 3 Black

Attachments

• RB_Nuit_2_pt.jpg
    RB_Nuit_2_pt.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 183
  • RB_Nuit_3_pt.jpg
    RB_Nuit_3_pt.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 159
  • RB_Nuit_4_pt.jpg
    RB_Nuit_4_pt.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 148
  • RB_Nuit_5_pt.jpg
    RB_Nuit_5_pt.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 149
  • RB_Nuit_6_pt.jpg
    RB_Nuit_6_pt.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 152
Thought I'd drop into this thread, wish I had found it a few weeks ago as excellent advice and experience!

I put together my first video with a GoPro Hero3 Black. White balance on auto, ProTune on, 1080p, 30fps, with one of the cheapie eBay style drop in filters. I had experimented a little with it snorkelling and so thought I'd try the filter a little deeper. I didn't apply any post-processing.

The dive is on the SS Stavronikita in Barbados, deepest point is ~130ft. The camera was fine, a little warm when finished. Of more concern was that the battery was just about dead (no bars) after the 50mins, the wireless was on though as I forgot to switch it off after checking the alignment of the camera (iPhone app).

I used the headmount, which, with hindsight either requires a different method of diving (ie. don't look around/jerk your head so quickly!) or I should use a different mount. I think perhaps a chinstrap or tether would be wise as I found the headmount simply sitting on my head having come loose at one point during the dive! I would also prefer to undertake one of the genius mounts seen in the mount thread on here of fixing it to my mask (as it would take the setup/align time out of the pre-dive checks) but my Atomics don't seem to lend themselves well to that route...will have to try again.

So this could really be thought of as an 'out of the box' video. Anyhows, enough preamble, here is the video :-

Underwater art exhibition on the SS Stavronikita - Barbados (with video) | Barbados Property & Vacation Blog | vacation, underwater, diving | at Barbados Property Search

In future, I'll be trying the raw footage option and then some colour correction in Sony Vegas (once I get my head round that), less head movement, a tether and by the looks of things trying one of the SRP red filters.

Looking forward to the 'howto' guide though! :wink:

geefin you have just discovered the so called "discover your mistakes on the first dive" phenomenon so nothing to be ashamed of. You are right GoPro, frankly like any other manufacturer will happily mislead consumers about their product. Right on their page it says that battery life for gopro is 1hr 30 mins. What they are not telling you in big bold letters (but in fine print down the page) is that shooting mode significantly affects battery life. Higher framerate, higher resolution footage will drain your camera like there is no tomorrow so 50 minutes sounds about right. I would recommend that you invest in a battery pack which will double your battery life. After countless benchmarks kayaking, diving, biking I am getting 2.3 hours at 1080 60fps or 2.3 hours at 720 120fps with battery pack and stock gopro batteries.

As for your mounting configuration... aye it requires change of diving style. You need to move your body and not the head for your head mounted camera footage to come out halfway decent without making your audience dizzy. For that reason alone all videographers inevitably invest in a 2 hander tray to stabilize the shots.

As for camera overheating... yeppers it does that and there is no logic behind it. I can shoot my gopros (have 2 hero3 blacks) without any problem and come back to same exact location another day and either camera will start locking up. Today as I was mountain biking one of my cameras kept shutting down. I had to stop, open the housing, take off the spare battery, open back door to remove gopro battery, blow on it, hold it against my forehead (as rest of my body was hot after biking)... which in retrospect was a stupid idea because I was sweating. I dried off the battery, put it back in and it worked perfectly fine. Like I said there is no logic to it. Another thing it tends to do is it goes into "lock mode" where it will continue to film and get nice and warm but once you turn it off boom it wont even turn on again... which you would have to remedy by taking out the battery etc etc.

Gopro is finnicky and like most other small point and shoot cameras not without its problems.

I totally forgot to share with you guys - had some challenges with the Hero2, including loads of condensation (despite trying to be super careful with getting moisture inside) from the very humid Cozumel. On the second day, dove down and had it completely lock up - got out of the water, battery pull, and everything was groovy (had to get down quick while fooling with it on surface because of current and 4 circling eagle rays!) Tried to not stress about the anchor I was schlepping and just enjoy the dive.

Also quickly learned how damn fast I filled a card in promode - I =should= have figured it out right away, but plowing through the 32gb card damn quick was completely not necessary given that I was doing 3 consecutive dives w/o a card change. Managed to track down a class 4 32gb (not much selection in Mexico!) just to have a backup, and then when I turned off promode to work with the slower card I clued in what the hell was going on.

Always make mistakes...Once. :)

Anyhoo, there's a bunch of assorted films up here (more to come), including a snorkel vid: https://www.youtube.com/filmfestca

But the one you probably want to see is this, where a very frisky shark made a beeline for my camera and tried to eat it...repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5LpLFyVuxc

Ohh man... that shark looked like he/she was pissed. Usually if they pace like that they are not too happy. Were you trying to feed it? I saw a 3 prong arrow... I guess it was for lion fish. It may have sensed that free lunch was around the corner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom