Hero3 Black testing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, wasn't try to feed it (that was the DM with the lion fish) - it's just so clearly used to being fed that I assume it thought my GoPro (at the end of a monopod, w/ two lights on either side emitting lovely electricity) may have been a fish.

Who knows?

Was very amusing how it bee lined straight for me from the murk... I'm like, uh, what now? :)

I mounted a 60 degree beam torch on my tray once thinking "this is going to be awesome" just to realize it turns into a tiny circle of light. I saw your lights at a under the ledge scene (18:30), better without it - unfortunately video lights are still pricey ($300+) but there are some cheaper wide beam (110 deg) alternatives coming out (i.e. Archon - Made in China).

The fogging could have been avoided, it's a 7 bucks solution.

I mounted a 60 degree beam torch on my tray once thinking "this is going to be awesome" just to realize it turns into a tiny circle of light. I saw your lights at a under the ledge scene (18:30), better without it - unfortunately video lights are still pricey ($300+) but there are some cheaper wide beam (110 deg) alternatives coming out (i.e. Archon - Made in China).

Heh, yeah... That was the first dive, when I was still playing around... I have two of the iTorchs (I-Torch - The Smarter Dive Light - Best LED Dive light technology Video Tech and Recreational Lights), both the Advance B (20 degree) and the 600 (80 degree) - the 80 is kind of useless in even a little bit of daylight, but I did have it on for some of those under-the-ledge shots. I have them mounted on either side of the monopod, so I can turn them on/off depending what I'm looking at/for.

Those anti-fogging strips definitely looks like a great idea (my solution between nights was to get a giant bowl of rice from the restaurant and submerge the case over night, worked...kinda. :)

Hope y'all enjoy the vids.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 11:56 PM ----------

Welcome to learning the hard way :)

I'm still fooling with learning underwater video grading, I'm doing it in a pretty arbitrary way now...Would be nice to know some key values for additive filtration that work with relative consistency (even the colours used for underwater filters), but I've got until my next tropical dive to figure all that out...

Anti fogging methods are pretty much needed and I don't see the point of buying a camera, tray, lights and filters if in the end your end result may be useless due to fogging. No point shooting hd video if its out of focus so your wasting your money on all your camera gear and dive trip if you dont ensure it wont fog up. This can be avoided quite easily and the anti fog strips have worked great for me as long as I ensure the strips are dry prior to use, the 3 black does tend to fog easier then earlier go pro cameras too as they run a bit warmer.

After reading this thread, I looked into the Hero3 as a possible camera to travel with when I don't want to take the full size rig I normally do. I was surprised by the amazing number of negative reviews that this camera received on a large number of different web sights. They all basically had the same issues. Lockups, battery issues, and most of all the lack of customer service. I had a Sealife camera that used to lock up and it was really frustrating to use.

Has anyone involved in this thread had the same issues? I think I'm going to shelve this purchase until Gopro gets it figured out.....

After reading this thread, I looked into the Hero3 as a possible camera to travel with when I don't want to take the full size rig I normally do. I was surprised by the amazing number of negative reviews that this camera received on a large number of different web sights. They all basically had the same issues. Lockups, battery issues, and most of all the lack of customer service. I had a Sealife camera that used to lock up and it was really frustrating to use.

Has anyone involved in this thread had the same issues? I think I'm going to shelve this purchase until Gopro gets it figured out.....

My first camera locked up on me a bunch. I swapped it out within my 30-day return period and time will tell with this next one. From what I've read, people who get cameras with the new firmware already loaded up aren't experiencing as many issues. There are also things you can do to minimize issues as well but in my case it didn't help. Also remember that people's cameras that work fine don't tend to jump on message boards whereas someone having trouble screams on every single one they can find.

It's still a good camera. And the potential issues were worth the risk to me.

+1
For now I am just going to use my normal U/W rig!!

Hey All - So i'm another user that had serious lockup issues with low light. Just got my camera back this week so looking forward to trying it out. But thought I'd share a tip I heard from another dive buddy here that's done A LOT more diving with his camera. He started having the lockup problems, and out of desperation tried holding the camera lens (sensor) in front of his primary light during start up. He said he's had 100% success rate on over 80 dives with the camera not locking up when he's done that. So, something to take note of and try!

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but will report back when I get in the water again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom