Hi everyone from cold Indiana!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
This looks like a good discussion thread. Where's the OP...?

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Don't want to do your dives there, huh? Can't blame you. Did your gear buys include a Safety Sausage & Storm Whistle? Don't get on a boat without 'em. And I'd suggest the Nitrox course before Aow. You can get it in Florida for less than $100/3 hours.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: and be careful about posting Replies without reading the Stickies for each forum. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Hi, thanks for the advice, no I don't have a whistle or safety sausage, things like that they don't tell you in class! Hopefully I will learn a thing or two around this site! Our LDS has a Nitrox class starting in the summer, hoping to get in that if I can get the basics done by then! Again, thanks for the advice, I'm loving hearing from the experienced divers here! I'm finding divers to be a fun group of people!

jeepchick:
Hi, thanks for the advice, no I don't have a whistle or safety sausage, things like that they don't tell you in class! Hopefully I will learn a thing or two around this site! Our LDS has a Nitrox class starting in the summer, hoping to get in that if I can get the basics done by then! Again, thanks for the advice, I'm loving hearing from the experienced divers here! I'm finding divers to be a fun group of people!

I would never call myself an "experienced diver" - indeed, some days I lower my voice when I say I'm a diver. :blush: But I do try to offer good suggestions, and these two signaling devices are among my pet peeves - as it seems that Local Dive Shops (LDSs) are not encouraging them to newbies. Padi may cover these in their Boat Diving class; I wouldn't know, never took it. It just seems that new divers are getting on boats without them, and rarely but still - lost at sea. And the Storm Whistle does seem to be the loudest. I carry one in case my in-line air whistle doesn't work when I need it, like if I am out of air. Never used it, but never dived without it.

The Nitrox class is another pet peeve. Newbies want to dive with more experienced divers, and many of us enjoy helping out, share in their enthusiasm, etc. Even tho Padi teaches a 60 ft maximum depth for OW divers, in the real world many dive the deeper dives for one reason or another, and Nitrox is especially beneficial in the 60-130 ft range. I had to end a Florida Keys wreck dive early last month because my boat-pick, newbie buddy was on Air and close to his Ndl, even tho I was on Nitrox with gas & time to spare. I like to see a newbie do Nitrox as his/her second course, and it's available for $98, 3 hours classroom now - less than half what it cost me, less than a third counting travel expenses for the dives that used to be required.

Your quote "Life, is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving" can be loaded into your Signature, btw - see UserCP, Edit Signature. Include Auntie Mame, 1958 if you want to go to that much detail - up to you. :wink:

DandyDon:
I would never call myself an "experienced diver" - indeed, some days I lower my voice when I say I'm a diver. :blush: But I do try to offer good suggestions, and these two signaling devices are among my pet peeves - as it seems that Local Dive Shops (LDSs) are not encouraging them to newbies. Padi may cover these in their Boat Diving class; I wouldn't know, never took it. It just seems that new divers are getting on boats without them, and rarely but still - lost at sea. And the Storm Whistle does seem to be the loudest. I carry one in case my in-line air whistle doesn't work when I need it, like if I am out of air. Never used it, but never dived without it.

The Nitrox class is another pet peeve. Newbies want to dive with more experienced divers, and many of us enjoy helping out, share in their enthusiasm, etc. Even tho Padi teaches a 60 ft maximum depth for OW divers, in the real world many dive the deeper dives for one reason or another, and Nitrox is especially beneficial in the 60-130 ft range. I had to end a Florida Keys wreck dive early last month because my boat-pick, newbie buddy was on Air and close to his Ndl, even tho I was on Nitrox with gas & time to spare. I like to see a newbie do Nitrox as his/her second course, and it's available for $98, 3 hours classroom now - less than half what it cost me, less than a third counting travel expenses for the dives that used to be required.

Your quote "Life, is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving" can be loaded into your Signature, btw - see UserCP, Edit Signature. Include Auntie Mame, 1958 if you want to go to that much detail - up to you. :wink:

I will definitely take the Nitrox course as soon as I get a chance. I hope to finish Rescue Diver by the end of summer. I just can't wait to get my checkout dives done, I want to see what it's like in "real" water and not just in a pool. By the way, you're granddaughter is really cute! I have a daughter that looks about her same age!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. It is good to have you with us. There are lots of people on this board from your local area. Plenty of people to setup dives with.

Ahh, Chilly Greenfield. Until last year I lived in Beech Grove. I spent 25 years there. It was 75 and comfortable here on the east coast of florida today. Any questions? Seriously, welcome to the board. Indy is a nice place but I don't miss the cold.

ScubaTexan:
Cow tipping is just American humour, and Hoosier is just a nickname for someone from Indiana. It's like calling someone from Liverpool a "Liverpudllian" or someone from Manchester a "Mancunian." Does that clear it up any for you?

Thanks for that, it is as clear as mud....but is cow tipping something you can get arrested for?

Diving Doc:
Thanks for that, it is as clear as mud....but is cow tipping something you can get arrested for?

Not if you run fast and don't get caught! Besides, what fun is it if there's no chance of getting arrested!

jeepchick:
Not if you run fast and don't get caught! Besides, what fun is it if there's no chance of getting arrested!
Nice, rowdy attitude. I certainly never did any moonlight cow tipping. Wrestled enough by day that this had no appeal to me, but I suppose urban folks could find amusement. Wonder if Utube has anything on it...? :silly:

Oh god , can you really dive in 13 C .
Well, here in the Red Sea we get 22 C lowest temp. and we believe that is cold.

Welcome Cheapchick.
Doing my checkout dives at Vortex Springs in Fl. the end of January.
Come join us !:wink:

Back
Top Bottom