Hi8 for videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking into getting into underwater videography. Do yall think that video camera brand/age/etc doesn't really matter as long as it records on a computer editable video of some sort? (via fireware/usb/whatever)

Also: being cheap/DIY I am planning for my lighting to be done by multiple SL4's attached to my camera housing(which is also going to be a DIY project) do you think this will work? or need a better light source?

--L1234

I can put in a word on the Hi8 part. It really depends on if you are doing this for personal use or want to market your video. I run a small event videography business on the side and I have found out the picture quality and lack of key features, manual focus, mic inputs, etc, have limited what I could do.

On pro-sumer side of things, I would get a 3 CCD camcorder. I also would go for DV eitherway, I don;t think they are that much more expensive than a hi8 now, but you'll have less loss when editing, if you are using a computer, since the video is recorded digitally, not analog like with hi8.

I'm still trying to save up the 1800-2000 for a good Sony VX2000 or 2100.

Good luck.

Jeff

nah, just doing it for fun/show friends....not looking to market the video.

How much truth is there about not using the mini DV cameras since they record in an odd format (mpeg2 I think) ?

I too am think about getting started and am totally lost at what to look for and what to avoid. Been doing some webs searches but there is really not much info out there. So far I think I want manual white balance and the monitor screen on the back of the housing.

lord1234:
nah, just doing it for fun/show friends....not looking to market the video.
If you're trying to do it really cheap, get the Studio9 AV/DV bundle, for around $75 - mail order - I saw it not too long ago at BestBuy for $99, you get the full-version of Pinnacle Studio9 and an analog PCI capture card for your PC, which you'll need since HI-8 camcorders don't do Firewire/USB.

Steve

crpntr133:
How much truth is there about not using the mini DV cameras since they record in an odd format (mpeg2 I think) ?

I too am think about getting started and am totally lost at what to look for and what to avoid. Been doing some webs searches but there is really not much info out there. So far I think I want manual white balance and the monitor screen on the back of the housing.
I think you're referring to MiniDVD format cameras, not MiniDV format. (that second "D" is the difference) The MiniDVD cameras do record in a compressed mpeg2 format to squeeze the data onto the smaller MiniDVD disc. MiniDV (digital tape) cameras record uncompressed(technically) digital signals onto DV tape with little or no compression loss.

Another bad thing I've read(on DVspot) about the MiniDVD disc format is that the quality is really terrible at the LP speed, so realistically you get 1/2 hr. recording time per disc in SP, or 20min/disc at the HQ recording speed. Even at LP it's only an hr. compared to MiniDV's 2hrs.

sjspeck:
I think you're referring to MiniDVD format cameras, not MiniDV format. (that second "D" is the difference) The MiniDVD cameras do record in a compressed mpeg2 format to squeeze the data onto the smaller MiniDVD disc. MiniDV (digital tape) cameras record uncompressed(technically) digital signals onto DV tape with little or no compression loss.

Another bad thing I've read(on DVspot) about the MiniDVD disc format is that the quality is really terrible at the LP speed, so realistically you get 1/2 hr. recording time per disc in SP, or 20min/disc at the HQ recording speed. Even at LP it's only an hr. compared to MiniDV's 2hrs.

Sorry about the screw up, I was copying it from another thread and wasn't sure if that was what was meant. That clears up a few things even though I am still totally in the dark as to what to buy.

So basically stay away from the DVD if you want to edit your dive footage?

sjspeck:
MiniDV (digital tape) cameras record uncompressed(technically) digital signals onto DV tape with little or no compression loss.

Doesn't Mini DV use a 5:1 compression like DVCPro? I know that DVCPro can have plenty of compression garbage in it, I can't see how a consumer format would be better then a pro/broadcast format.

edited after I woke up. Rule #1, don't post when you are too tired... :11:

crpntr133:
Sorry about the screw up, I was copying it from another thread and wasn't sure if that was what was meant. That clears up a few things even though I am still totally in the dark as to what to buy.

So basically stay away from the DVD if you want to edit your dive footage?
That would be my suggestion...

MikeC:
Doesn't Mini DV use a 5:1 compression like DVCPro? I know that DVCPro can have plenty of compression garbage in it, I can't see how a consumer format would be better then a pro/broadcast format.

edited after I woke up. Rule #1, don't post when you are too tired... :11:
That's correct, I did say "technically" .>) - I was trying to use that reference more as an example of the difference between DV and mpeg2 compression.

Back
Top Bottom