Hi8 for videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjspeck:
That's correct, I did say "technically" .>) - I was trying to use that reference more as an example of the difference between DV and mpeg2 compression.

5:1 compression with 4:1:1 sampling rate... YUCK!!!!

I'm working with so much HD lately that analog uncompressed NTSC looks terrible to me.

Thanks for the help. Between this thread and DrBill I am on my way, I think.

I found a hi8 camera at a dive shop for 400 bux...cheap and easy so deals are out there. :) It worked great for what it was, I transfered the video via a (older pinnical)capture board and the quality seemed to be lacking with that kind of transfer. I then transfered the video from a second vid cam that was a D8/Hi8 via firewire and had a noticable difference. I then adapted the hi8/D8 camera to fit in the housing(not very well but for it's purpose it worked)and shot with that. Only slightly better, though the colors seemed to be blown and over exposed....the autofocus on it hasn't been the best either...not to mention zoom is ungodly slow...but thats what you get for adapting a cam that wasn't meant for the housing :)..

I recently(okay monday) just invested in a 3 chip system since I enjoyed it so much.... :)
The housing has manual wb control, some electronic and some manual controls(focus/zoom)...we'll see how much better it is...

I have the Sony Digital8/HI8 DCR-TRV350 with an Ikelite housing.. I have used it on 4 trips.. I have been happy with the quality of the videom for the most part.. the pixals are about 260,000, It also has a memory stick for stills with 160,000 pixals.. I had the camera first so I bought a housing for it..
If I was starting again I would invest in the Mini dvd's, since you are going to have to buy the housing anyway, the pixals are about 2M and you can create stills(2m) from the video...

I have been using Pinnacle Studio 9SE for the editing.. Simple to use, however if your PC is not fast enough(RAM) and/or you
do not have enough space on your hard drive the videos studder unless you upgrade your PC.

Good LucK...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom