HID wiring- HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK....
I looked at two of them....
They were both the same....
So far.. so good....

the brown wire from the switch goes to the red battery post
the blue wire from the cable goes to the black battery post

Blue, Black, Red, Brown, Colorblind... all this assumes, of course, that color fidelity inside the head has been maintained at the factory....
Just a little thought to brighten yer day.
Rick :)

-I- was mean... Here is poor old DD, just a sweating over getting the connections right... you tell him to be careful as it will toast his ballast, and I make a joking assertion that you are color blind.

It's like hearing an "Ooops" at the Nuclear Power plant.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Don't get this wrong Jack... reverse polarity kills the ballast!!!

Brown to RED
Blue to BLACK

And I can only guess that three wire conductor has a better profile for sealing with a gland even though electrically the third wire is unnecessary.

BUT......

Before you try to fire the thing off let me go out and check once more....

gads this is making me nervous!!!

I just replaced the cord on my HID (again) because there was an internal break in one of the wires. The strain/bend relief on these lights is BAD and so is the cord. This is NOT the right cord for the application. The cord used is simple powercord you would use for any appliance. The green wire is the ground wire but is not needed in this light, therefor a 2 wire cord would have been a MUCH better choice.

Also i am not too sure reverse polarity will kill the balast as there is a protection diode in place BEFORE the balast. If you plug it in wrong i think it will just not work, i HAVE NOT verified this by trying it however so dont blame me when you try it and it DOES get damaged.

Yes, i have completely taken this thing apart.......and i suggested some improvements to EE, no response yet :)

if i had money to spare i'd wire it backwards just to see what happens.....:D

sheck33 once bubbled...
if i had money to spare i'd wire it backwards just to see what happens.....:D

I was told that it wont affect the newer style proteus 10w light heads due to a diode but will damage the 18w lights and older 10w lights.This came to me second hand so take it for what its worth :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom