Hmm, eh, new rules in CZM about traveling with MJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't it still a big 'no-no' to dive under the influence of alcohol/drugs in any case ? Last I heard, pot smoking and diving are frowned upon.
I'm sure its been done before! But smoking the night before wont have effects on morning dives. THC is absorbed and the effects are petered off in time with no lasting after effects. Heck, I would wager cigarette smoking and excessive alcohol is far worse for a diver!

I'm sure its been done before! But smoking the night before wont have effects on morning dives. THC is absorbed and the effects are petered off in time with no lasting after effects. Heck, I would wager cigarette smoking and excessive alcohol is far worse for a diver!

Are you confident enough in that statement to alert your dive op and dive buddies that you're presently using pot ?

Are you confident enough in that statement to alert your dive op and dive buddies that you're presently using pot ?
Well I didnt say I was using.....And why tell the dive ops or your buddies if your not high during the dive?And lets get real...I have zero doubt some folks have dove high and possibly even their buddy was as well.

Do you advise the dive shop of very ounce of alcohol you drank the night before? I doubt it...

What do you mean by "presently"? If it were, for example, the night before the dive I would be confident enough to consider it to be irrelevant to the dive and none of their business, so no, I would not bring it up. If it were at the time of the dive, then I agree; that's a problem.

Last edited:
I have zero doubt some folks have dove high and possibly even their buddy was as well.

Do you advise the dive shop of very ounce of alcohol you drank the night before? I doubt it...

Ah the old "Everybody else does it so it's ok if I do it".

Yet another reason to dive solo.

If you are traveling to Mexico from the U.S., remember that our border crossing and TSA checkpoints are still manned by Federal officers and agents. As a general rule, they don't give a damn what the local State laws have to say about the legality of possessing and/or transporting the product, because U.S. federal law considers it an illegal drug, and all penalties apply. Get caught by a drug sniffing dog or luggage check, and you may not have to worry about getting to Mexico, much less dealing with Mexican law enforcement officers.

In a related story...

On another forum years ago I happened to mention that I used to work for a company that dealt in pressurized specialty gases. Another forum member contacted me to inquire how he might get nitrous oxide introduced into his diving gas so that he might enjoy the experience more. Needless to say, I did not help him.

I don't use mj, for a wide variety of reasons, legal complications among them.

Nonetheless, I can sympathize with the OP's situation. Purchasing mj while traveling internationally is fraught with problems of its own. The authenticity, purity, and strength of the purchased product are doubtful when dealing with strangers. There is the possibility of purchasing from someone working as part of a law enforcement sting. There are the hazards associated with dealing in cash with unknown individuals. In that light, one must balance the risks.

A few facts to consider:

Contrary to what posters upthread have written, the federal government does not prosecute cases that come to light where personal use quantities of mj are found by the TSA. The TSA are not sworn officers and have no authority to arrest or detain. It is their policy to bring drugs found during screening to the attention of airport police, who prosecute or not according to local law and local prosecutive guidelines. DEA would not become involved unless the quantities are significantly higher than personal use.

ICE typically do not screen outbound passengers or baggage though they occasionally will walk a dog past a line of people at the boarding gate for international departures. If they were to find something it could lead to harassment and delays but prosecution would be rare. They are making a bigger deal of violations they find for people who are permitted to skip screening through participation in Global Entry or one of the related programs, so if this is you, keep your nose clean.

I have no advice on how to proceed. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom