Hmmmm, not such spectacular backing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
UPDATE: Please know that Shearwater has resolved this issue and I am quite impressed with their actions!

@Shearwater: Well, at about 6 months out of the two year warranty, and a grand total of 51 dives, my Petrel1's board croaked. Just got an invoice for more than 25% of the cost of a new one to repair it from the US based center....

So much for everyone's great support stories....

Last edited:
OK,.... outside the warranty (to which they are technically under no obligation to do anything), & they offer to repair it to operating conditions at a mere 25% of a replacement that you would otherwise have to buy...... what is your opinion of "Good customer service"? Just give it to you, fixed, at their expense, free of charge to you?

No, it isn't awful, but, FWIW, I've seen significantly better done, documented here numerous times on SB...

51 dives......

Sorry - Out of warranty is out of warranty. ~$200 to repair is a great price vs $800 or so to replace it. You probably paid at or near cost for P&L. Normally I expect NOTHING from the company once warranty period is over. The number of dives is meaningless as when you purchased it, it was clearly stated to be a time based warranty only. They could have easily said too bad for you (or me) - and I would still think they have great service because they clearly met and in this case exceeded expectations.

Could be worse, Liquivision told me to basically go pound sand on an X1 that needed a board replacement. They would offer me a significantly different computer for 75% the cost of that new computer.

Suunto might treat you better....right?

My Petrel had a couple of quirks that were knocked out in short order. I was an early adopter so I suspect this was going on at a pretty busy time for them. I was very satisfied with the turnaround, and since then I've put a couple hundred dives on it, some with some pretty rough treatment. It looks pretty beat up now but still runs perfectly, and I love the display and controls. There are some things I've had buyer's remorse for over time, but Shearwater would get my recommendation to any friend.

Failure after only 51 dives in two years does suck and is really surprising, but I suppose there is a bell curve to reliability of electronic devices, and so someone's has to fall at the short end. Maybe they will take pity on you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom