"Hockey" Fin Real World Dive Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN Traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK – as promised, here is the report on a week’s worth of diving with the “Hockey” fins. This was a trip on the Cuan Law, diving throughout the British Virgin Islands -. 19 dives in 5 ½ days.

First of all – the fins are heavy – even heavier than my Excellerating Force Fins.

They are size XXL and I used 2 comfort inserts with my 3 mm, soft soled, size 10 boots and they fit perfectly.

Once in the water they were outstanding. Slow flutter kicking did take a little more effort, since they don’t flex quite as easily, so there is less rebound at slow, easy kick rates. Now, if you need to go, into a current and kick hard – WOW. I am a moderately in-shape, 64 year old, but when I wanted to go, they went. I had no trouble actually out accelerating the dive instructor leading our dives – and she is mid-20’s, wearing Mares Volo Power Fins and very fit. I could not sustain top speed as long as she could and eventually she would catch/pass me, but it sure got her attention (we did this several times when heading back to the boat). She really wanted to try them, but they would not fit.:(

What really impressed everyone was when we ran into a pod of Dolphins when returning from a dive and everyone jumped into the waster with masks and fins to try and see them – with these fins, I could duck under the surface and be at full speed with just a kick or two and get closer to them than anyone else (and no, I’m not going to claim that I could catch them:eyebrow:).

Where these fins really excelled was with Frog Kicking and Back Kicks. I was shooting video (for the first time ever) and I quickly found that slow, smooth movement was necessary to get reasonable images. Frog Kicking was effortless, allowing easy movement with just a flick of the fins. They also were great for back kicks when trying to position for the best shots.

And the best part of all of this, I did not have a single leg, foot or toe cramp the entire trip. This is even more amazing since I had not been diving since December (excluding one short pool session) and my muscles were definitely not accustomed to these movements.:D

I did let a couple of the other divers try them – most of them were diving with Split Jets and I heard nothing but positive comments after they used them. Many saying they had never felt fins that felt as good, on their feet and legs.

All and all, I am very happy with them. I think these are Jet Fin killers (if people can get over the sticker shock). Bob really has a winner in these!!

As a side note, my wife was diving Foil Force Fins, for the first time, and once she got over the learning curve of kicking from her hips, she loved the fact that she did not have any cramps and how effortless they kicked at speed. Her only complaint (and this may be a problem) is that they did not do well sculling or frog kicking, which she does more than I realized, when she takes pictures (so I may have to find her another style of FFs). She loaned hers to a couple of women on the boat who were complaining about cramps and they just loved them (she dove with the boat’s full foot fins once, and hated them).

PS - still don't have a FF T-shirt

TN, since your on my test team, I like to send you a softer pair to play with. Blair and I feel the blade is a little stiff but does it put out. Yes they are heaver that other models, but remember you have a pair that only 3 of us have and I took some material out on the model we are making now. I just finished the XL hockey fin and it rolls into production next week. Yesterday I rapped up the Large size and will start the production mold next week. Production will be limited to those I like and know. Also finished up a shorter blade for search and rescue teams I work with...next I am on to the OPS production, and then the free diving blades and finally at the end of the year my Mono-fin. Keep us posted and contact Blair so you can play with a softer material. Cost, I always amazed on how much a diver will spend on all his gear but when it comes down to his or hers propulsion, FIN's.... they want a cheap fin that hangs off their foot and makes cramps right from the get go. To me it's like buying a nice car and putting retread tires on. materials. When making fin's I do not cut corners, using cheap plastics.

Last edited:
Bob

I'm not complaining about the blade being too stiff - just observing that it is stiffer than your usual fins in Tan Delta. It's performance is amazing - I just did not want to "oversell" it.

I would very much like to test a slightly "softer" blade - these old legs are always looking for things to make it easier. I like the XXL, since I can use anywhere from a light 3 mm boot up to a heavy soled 7 mm. Only thing I can't do with them is use them barefoot, like I did with my XLs and 2 inserts - but that was a rare situation.

I wanted to try my wife's Foil Force which I can wear barefoot, but after her one try with the fins on the boat, she indicated that it would be hazardous to my health to attempt that. :rtfm:

I am wondering if my wife would like the shorter blade version - but that is a thought for later.

Thanks

TN Traveler,
Welcome back! Great review. Cuan Law and the BVI's sounds like a great time and 19 dives way to get get your water time! Looking forward to hearing more about your dives. I really enjoyed that area of the world. Good to hear you are shooting underwater video as it opens up a whole new element to your diving experience and is important on a historical sense to the area you are filming.

Thanks again for posting your Force Fin experience. I look forward to seeing a photo, maybe even video and hearing more. Talk to you soon,
Blair

This is the pair of Fins that Bob was talking about earlier in this thread.
hockeybl_be.jpg

Not only is the rebound and stiffness of the blade different from the first version, but he has also made slight design adjustments.

It will take awhile for me do get the video produced. It is a lot harder to do the work after shooting the clips than it was to take them. :wink:

Here are a couple of pictures my wife took. The lobsters would have fed the boat of 20 divers.:D

The one of me is the only one that shows the Fins.

Viz was not great during the week - so most of the pictures are just for "memory" purposes.

Attachments

• PICT0032.jpg
    PICT0032.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 176
  • PICT0108.jpg
    PICT0108.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 186
I finally got both the short version and the second version of the longer fin in the water for some really hockey time. WOW, these things ROCKED, the minor modifications that were made from the first model to the final version were amazing. I had a couple of people playing with them and the ONLY complaint that I got was that the foot pocket was too large. So, Bob call me,

I got in three dives in with my blue one's (like in Blair's picture, but with an instep hole). 1st two dives in a lake doing cleanup with twenty other guys. Muddy bottom and since we were grabbing garbage off the bottom, things would get cloudy quick, so it was best if you could keep your fins off the bottom. I'm not normally too good at that, but as short as these fins are and with their low profile it was much easier for me.

My brother-in-law was with me and seeing my new fins for the 1st time said those are cool looking, for someone that doesn't like force fin anything, that was saying a lot.

We went on to do a fun dive at Mukilteo, around 55 feet with a pretty good current. Man, these fins are good in current. I could go along pretty easy and just hover in place, or give 'em a few flicks and burst on ahead. I really had a lot of fun with them.

Brought my new Extra's along with me, but I was having so much fun with the "hockey fins", I never got a chance to try 'em.

TN: I'm jealous you got in 19 dives with 'em, and MESSIER, that you got a short pair, but mostly at BOB and BLAIR that they can try many colors and configurations! :cool2:

Got a used drysuit coming from Ebay any day, hoping to do a Memorial day dive, wet or dry, I plan to go. These fins rock. Have a good and safe Memorial Day everyone!!

don't think too much about the short pair, they are really only for barefoot only, high speed, high frequency kicks, I don't see how they would be any good for scuba. Besides, they only come in Large right now, much too small for any bootie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom