HOG 6 ft SMB lift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the lift of 6 foot version?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

don't know, never measured and it is about to get replaced by a new version.... sorry that doesn't help much. I'd guess in the range of 20 lbs or so...it isn't a lift bag and I don't recommend using as such

What is new in new version?

less welds so stronger, smaller opv so smaller when rolled up and a much better clip attachment. plus doing a smaller 3 ft as well

What is the lift of 6 foot version?

Volume of a cylinder = Pi * radius squared * height

You can calculate the radius by measuring the flat width of the SMB: flat width * 2 = circumfrence / Pi = diameter / 2 = radius

Calculate the weight of that volume of fresh or salt water, and that's roughly your lift capacity (to be accurate you should subtract the weight of the uninflated SMB and the weight of the same volume of air)

Another way to do it is fill the SMB with water and weigh it

The HOG SMB looks kinda skinny so I'm going to guess 6" across when flat = about 30# of lift

NB Lift is only generated by the submerged portion of the SMB

John Holmestried

Volume of a cylinder = Pi * radius squared * height

You can calculate the radius by measuring the flat width of the SMB: flat width * 2 = circumfrence / Pi = diameter / 2 = radius

Calculate the weight of that volume of fresh or salt water, and that's roughly your lift capacity (to be accurate you should subtract the weight of the uninflated SMB and the weight of the same volume.
You forgot one nit picky detail. Measuring the sausage limp will not give you the same measurement when erec...inflated.

You will need to inflate it and then measure to get an accurate radius.

You forgot one nit picky detail. Measuring the sausage limp will not give you the same measurement when erec...inflated.

You will need to inflate it and then measure to get an accurate radius.

You must be thinking of a different kind of sausage. This one does not have an elastic skin so his method of calculating the radius based on measuring half of the circumference is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom