hog/edge Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porbeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all on SB!
I have a few words about a rather new technical wing which has appeared on the
market.This is the hog (highly optimized gear) Edge wing. Well , I bought one about a month ago and with a Hammerhead backplate,and a simple diverite hogarthian harness, I maybe have the most elegant kit you could buy. This wing
is superb . I have used it maybe for 10 or so dives SW and it is so streamlined, I feel like it's not even there. Workmanship is tops,Price is great.I know that cerich,here on SB is somehow involved with the company that makes this wing,and I'd like to extend my compliments to him for a job well done.I don't have any connections with Hog/Edge whatsoever and I'm not a guy who raves about anything on the market. But I encourage anyone in the market for a new BC to look
into an EDGE hOG WING DIR setup. You might want to check out DSS also, My wife
swears by them.Anyway, this post is for those thinking of buying a jacket style BC.
You might want to do 1 dive with a Hog or DSS wing,you won't believe the difference...................PORBEAGLE

I'm diving a HOG singles wing and love it.

the K

I'm glad to hear the review. I am getting ready to order a single BP/wing set up that includes the HOG single wing. I am also changing from a jacket BCD. I have a question for you. Do you used a weightbelt? Thanks.

I use a Dive Rite removable pocket on my waist straps. I can carry up to 12 pounds of weight if necessary, but it's never necessary.

the K

My rig:

Hammerhead II SS BP with Hammerhead 2-piece SS STA
Basic HOG harness (made with Dive Rite webbing and D-rings)
HOG 32lb single wing
I use a weightbelt.

My total ballast is about evenly divided between the weightbelt (10lbs), and BP (about -7.5 lbs with the 2-piece STA) and a 3lb weight in XS Scuba weight pocket on the upper tank camband.

It's a terrific setup. I'm very pleased with how well made the Edge HOG wing is, and the quality of the Hammerhead II BP. There are a lot of good options out there, this is just another one to consider.

Oh, and I just ordered an indentical rig for my wife, hopefully she will be in the water with it this weekend. :D

For those of you that have seen both the HOG 32lb singles wing and the Oxycheq Mach V, I'm wondering how they compare. I'm about ready to get a BP/wing setup (for diving single cylinders initially), and am considering primarily those two wings. The HOG can be obtained less expensively, but everyone raves about the Mach V so much, I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra cost (especially if I went for the bulletproof "extreme" version).

Thanks for any information on how these two wings might differ, and what your recommendation would be.

I have yet to dive a HOG, but I do like their fit and finish. Solid gear at ridiculously LOW, and I mean Stank-Low prices. They have done a wonderful job with their line!

For those of you that have seen both the HOG 32lb singles wing and the Oxycheq Mach V, I'm wondering how they compare. I'm about ready to get a BP/wing setup (for diving single cylinders initially), and am considering primarily those two wings. The HOG can be obtained less expensively, but everyone raves about the Mach V so much, I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra cost (especially if I went for the bulletproof "extreme" version).

Thanks for any information on how these two wings might differ, and what your recommendation would be.

I went through the same decision process, and ended up choosing the Edge HOG. I'm really happy with it, but would have probably raved about the OxyCheq Mach V if I had purchased it, or the DSS Torus wing if I had gone that direction.

The Edge HOG 32lb single tank wing is a low-profile, pure "doughnut" shaped wing. The top and bottom ends of the wing are the same width. On the other end of the spectrum would be a DSS Torus wing, which is noticeably narrower at the top end. The Oxycheq Mach V Signature wing is also a "doughnut" shaped wing, and appears "similar" in design to the HOG. But I do not know how the wing dimensions compare between the two.

As far as the Extreme version of the Mach 5, my understanding is that it gives you increased abrasion and puncture protection due to the tougher outer covering, but I'm not sure if it increases "pinch" protection which causes many / most bladder punctures (pinching the wing & bladder between the edge of the backplate and a hard surface pre- or post-dive; there is a good video illustrating how this can happen on the DSS website).

I guess I'm not really addressing your question because I have not dove a Mach V wing. What I'd recommend doing is looking at the DESIGN differences, because the QUALITY of the Edge HOG is not an issue. It is sturdy and well made.

Good Luck!

I too dive with the 32lb. Hog wing. For the price, i think it's awesome, actually I would go as far as comparing to my dive rite wing that cost almost twice as much!

Solid piece of gear!.....only think i don't like, the inflator....but that's just personal preference, it works just fine.

Could anyone give me a website for HOG? I've tried Googling for it but haven't found their home page.

I am new to BP/W and I am looking for a wing that would be primarily for single tank (steel Faber) diving, but which could potentially be used for tropical twin tank diving (3mm wetsuit and ally tanks). Any chance the HOG 32lb wing would do the job?

Also what sort of weight are these wings - I want lightweight for travelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom